Questions about my first mesh import

Alina Graf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I'm experimenting mesh creation with Blender 2.59 + Primstar 2. Imported my .dae with SL Viewer 3 Beta, in Aditi.

The object is a victorian street lamp. My first try it was 3 PE. I optimized it reducing edges (around 216 faces now) and I got 2 PE now, but before exploring texturization I'm having some issues I try to list here:

1 - In Blender I made 4 different LOD, placed in 4 different layers. When export do Collada I have them all selected, no matter what layer I'm on. I had to open file, delete 3 on 4 objects, export, close, reopen, delete other 3 and re-export.... I guess there is a better way to have 4 .dae each with 1 object.

2 - My imported item, inworld, seems sort of transparent. It can see through the base the opposite side. I made it from a circle, extruding and resizing. And closed at top. Last try I added materials too and assigned them to different parts of the mesh. So it seems I have faces now, but all is still quite trasparent. In Edit i see the material colors on white texture. Trasparency 0%.

3 - When I tried to apply my own LOD files I got the PE jumping up: 13 PE. My LOD 2 and 1 were identical and LOD0 with much less faces.

4 - Importing in Aditi I got only the object (1 item), not the second item that I should use like a sculpt map to build the mesh inworld, and that I saw in tutorials. Why this and how have them both?

Could anyone help me?

Thanks

Alina Graf

1.) Either use Blender 2.49 for exporting or update to Blender 2.59. there you can select "export selected only"

2.) Do not use textures with Alpha channel. But possibly your normals are inverted. You can check this in blender: In edit mode press "n", then find "display" and enable "face normals". When they all point outwards then your normals are ok. Otherwise you can flip them:

Mesh -> Normaöls -> Flip

But when you have to manipulate the normals, then often something else is wrong with your mesh.

3.) LOD 0 should be realy realy realy low poly. I try to use billboards on that level whenever possible. Also take care of your physics mesh. Best is to supply one of your own and again the lower the polycount the cheaper it is. each triangle counts here ;-)

4.) this is an old tutorial whichever it is. Since a couple of months you only get one object. So its alright like you see it in ADITI.

About my street lamp project: normals were inverted; I flipped them and now the shape is correct. I can texturize it inworld too.

In previous test i had: Download 1.7.. | Physics 0.6.. | Server 0.5 = 2 PE

Now i have: Download 0.6.. | Physics 0.6.. | Server 0.5 = 1 PE

In both test i setted physics on lowest LOD, and let the importer make LOD 2, 1 and 0 for me. Same vertices and faces, I only added a Seam more. Didn't change anything more!

Why the prims went down now? Only flipping normals? It seems that estimation is quite random

it may well be possible that your inverted face normals caused the physics shape to run completely out of control. i mean, the software tries to create a convex hull, but when all normals point inwards, then maybe it makes one hull per face in the extreme case. That could explain why your physics costs where so dramatically high and now why they have fallen down to almost zero after you corrected the normals.

And yes, there are a few nasty bugs in the importer, especially if .slm files are inveolved in the process. Those files seem to realy let the importer do very weird things. I often end up with removing these files from my hard disk. and sometimes even restart the viewer before i can reliably import a new item.

I wonder how many weird behaviour may be tolerated for a production stable software ;-)  ...

"In the past we were getting different cost numbers for the exact same model if you tried to upload it twice, so yes, it was random.  I don't know if it's been fixed to give the same result each time."

There are two sources of this kind of variation. First, the GLOD library that generates the auto-LOD meshes is non-deterministic. That means it doesn't always provide the same LOD meshes despite identical input LOD 3 mesh.

The other happens even if you supply LOD meshes. It happens if you don't provide a UV map in the Collada file (in Blender, that's if you don't unwrap). It appears the uploader then uses uninitialised data for the UV map, which can change the download weight by a factor of at least two, and can produce some wierd texture behaviour (SH-2045).

I don't know whether either of these will be changed. The first was categorized as expected behaviour and the second as not reproducible. I guess you should always provide a UV map, although you don't need it if you are just going to apply colour and no texture.

"There are two sources of this kind of variation. First, the GLOD library that generates the auto-LOD meshes is non-deterministic. That means it doesn't always provide the same LOD meshes despite identical input LOD 3 mesh."

Infact now i think about it i saw lower LOD generated triangles than before, and this should explain the lower final PE.

About physics, it never changed very much in my tests and always lower than the download weight, so i think no significant in this case.

Thanks to all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.