Question about mesh kits

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a mesh kit from marketplace. Since mesh doesn't use maps anymore, does that mean there's no way  to create my own mesh model? The only thing I'm able to edit is the texture? So if I want to sell my creation, wouldn't the creator name still be the maker of the kit?

It depends on the creator and how they sell the mesh item. Try Redpoly for an example os a mesh that you can show as the creator.

One way to sell mesh items is to sell the Collada (DAE) file in a note card. You can then save it to your computer via copy paste and upload it to SL, which then shows you as the creator. Additionally you can import it into Blender to work with. From Blender you can export it as an OBJ file and take it into Photoshop Extended. (CS4 to 6).

Some creators sell only a mesh item and the UVMap or as some call it: a template. Just depends...

Hey Suki.

Up until recently I've included the blend file and .obj files with all of my releases. However, that -has- changed with me. It was pointed out to me that although it makes it a dream for customization, it is a nightmare for me. Because I included the original file (which will remain as such with all of my older releases), creators can easily tweak a few things and resell it full permissions.

Thus the change. I now only include the .obj files with my downloads to defer potential loss of income. That isn't to say if a creator asks that I won't provide the .dae files, as I am more than willing to do so for a customer upon request. 

All I can say, the biggest reasoning for not including .dae files automatically, at least for me, is that anybody can then resell them and call them their own original content since they (the buyer or person who the file shave been passed to) were the uploader.

I hope that answers at least some questions you have as to why a full permission mesh kit creator would hesitate to release the link to a full file for better customization.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.