Problem with mesh faces

Ohce Hinterland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been working in Maya on a project and it includes 6 objects that are combined together and each have a different face. When I upload it to Second Life I am able to select the faces just fine, but they don't display the textures correctly. In Maya I unwrap each piece and then I bake and combine the objects together and then I export it. What am I doing wrong?

Under the Mesh > Combine options, make sure you merge the UV sets by Name, or Links.

OR

In the UV Editor there is an option to Copy UVs to UV Set as well.

Make sure in the UV Set Editor is only 1 map listed. If you copied the UVs in the UV Editor, delete the redundant maps in the UV Set Editor afterwards.

If it's not the above, you may have run into one or the other BUG with material naming (spaces in the name), or to many triangles in one material with the current SL viewers. Which will make all faces follow face 0 when face 0 is edited.

However, at least the UVs are correct in the latter cases. So I guess it's not that.

You may be experiencing the tail end of a bug that's in the process of being squished.

Presently the mesh uploader truncates material names with spaces in them.  That means that "Material #22" , "Material #23"  , "Material #24" etc etc ~  all become "Material", "Material", "Material"  Thus becoming indistinguishable from eachother and becoming a single massive "face".

This bug is being fixed in the next MAINT viewer update.  Expect it to take a few weeks to go live.

In the mean time just rename your materials "Mat_22" or "Material_A" or whatever your hearts desire~ without spaces.

"This bug is being fixed in the next MAINT viewer update."

If this is the claimed fix for MAINT-5678 (aka BUG-10434), mentioned as fixed in release notes, then it isn't fixed (see WF comment). The supposed fix linked there only affects the function getElementLabel, which is not used to get material names. Material names are retrieved directly from the "material" attribute of the <polylist> (etc) by a call to the collada dom library.

Maybe there's another fix?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.