Problem with import of body mesh in SL

Alexi Dockal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

Here, I meet a big problem with the creation of my body mesh. It's a problem that I can not explain. So I hope you'll be more inspired than me!

Note : I apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling faults on this topic, I use Google to translate because my English is not very good.

It's a body fitted mesh, everything seems to work perfectly with Blender but once I matter in Second Life, it will not, the appearance of the mesh is crenellated in places.

For you see the best of what it is, here are some screenshots:

problem surface mesh - 01

problem surface mesh - 02

And here are some screenshots of my weight, you will see that I have tried to make the proper :

weight paints - mPelvis

weight paints - PELVIS

weight paints - L_UPPER_LEG

weights paints - mHipLeft

weight paints - BELLY

weight paints - BUTT

weight paints - LEFT_HANDLE

Finally, here's a screenshot of my body mesh with the same body size and position more or less identical to that of the capture in Second Life :

placement test Blender

You will see that with Blender, I did not encounter any problem.

Not knowing whence can this problem, I told myself that there was perhaps a problem with my viewer (Firestorm v.4.6.9.42974 and Windows 7 - 64bit - Home Edition). So I attempted to import into SL with Singularity but the result is the same. I wanted to test an import with the official viewer but I can not go to the Beta grid, the viewer bug, it does not show me the grids menu despite the option checked in preferences.

I also tried to make my weight several times without results.

In short, I find myself a bit stuck ! Would you have any idea where can come from this? Thank you !

When looking at the rig, i suspect you use Avastar? If so, then:

• Which exact version of Avastar do you use?
  • Is the Shape that you use to make the screenshots in Blender the exact same shape that you use for the screenshots in SL?

If the Shape in Blender and the Shape in SL are exactly the same, then i am interested in getting a copy of your blend file for inspection (Avastar has a ticket system for this on its Website).

@Aquila Kytori : I asked myself the same question as you, but I think it has nothing to do. On the one hand because the wrinkles do not appear exactly the same place, they extend further and secondly because we found other places like on the shoulders and near the knees.

@Gaia Clary : my version of Avastar is the 1.3-18, i use this on Blender v.2.76.

I confess to not having hitherto imagined that the problem could come from there but now that you mention it ... I think that basically, this version of Avastar is dedicated to Blender 2.70 ? For the name of the entire file is this: Avastar-1.3-18_blender-2-70

For the shape, yes, it is exactly the same in Blender and SL ! Ok, I'll send you a copy of my body Mesh ! ;-)

EDIT : Well, Gaia, I sent you my shape on the Beta grid ! Thanks again ! ;-)

Some remarks:

1. The file name says: it works in blender 2.70 or newer so it should also work on Blender 2.76
  2. The In world Shape does not help me to inspect the problem in the required details. I can only help in this case by taking a look at the blend file.
  3. We provide a ticket system for this kind of help (see the machinimatrix website)

Please note that when i ask for blend files then i do this for the sole purpose of inspecting your issue. I have no intention to reuse your work in any way (just saying that your mesh work is treated as confidential :matte-motes-wink: )

AnaisCallipyge wrote:

my version of Avastar is the 1.3-18, i use this on Blender v.2.76.

I confess to not
having
hitherto
imagined
that the problem could
come from there
but now
that you mention it
... I think
that basically
, this version
of
Avastar
is dedicated to
Blender
?
For the name
of the
entire file
is this
:
Avastar
-
1.3-18_blender
-
2-70

For the shape, yes, it is exactly the same in Blender and SL !
Ok, I'll
send you
a copy
of my body
Mesh
!
;-)

EDIT :
Well,
Gaia,
I sent you
my
shape
on the
Beta grid
!
Thanks again !
;-)

Gaia, I thank you for the invitation to provide you the file so that you inspected. However, since I intend to commercialize this work, you will understand that I am a little reluctant to send my file to anyone who will be, although I do not doubt your good intentions.

What I will do is try to completely redo my weight and I'll see what comes out. If it still does not work, at that time, I would come back to you. :matte-motes-wink:

AnaisCallipyge wrote:

However
, since
I intend
to commercialize
this work,
you will understand
that I am
a little reluctant to
send my
file
to anyone who will
be
, although I
do not doubt
your good
intentions.

You always can create a simple test model as long as it shows the same errors.

Actually we even recommend that users only send us the minimum that is needed to reproduce the problem. But at the moment we still accept when someone sends us a production file to get quick help.

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone! I come back here after a few days of absence! Following the last post of Gaïa on this topic, i told myself that i would try to find the source of my problem on my side and i would come back to you if, really, i could not. Well, after a month and a half of effort and testing, the fact is that i stay with my problem on my arms! Yes... I still have not found the source of my problem, and yet i have tried many things. There i am really desperate, you're basically my last resort!

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=834059weightsproblemsnap14.jpg

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=114099weightsproblemsnap15.jpg

I still do not understand why these jaggies occur in the surface of my mesh but here's what I found:

- It has to do with the way I have my weight because when I adjust them, it improves.

- It is related to the weight because when i remove the weights of certain bones (UPPER BACK, LOWER BACK, LEFT and RIGHT HANDLE HANDLE), the problem disappears. Unfortunately, i never managed to remove the aliasing that occurs at waist level because i can not totally eliminate the weight of the legs (and R_UPPER_LEG L_UPPER_LEG).

- I thought I hurt my exportais mesh so i entrusted my file to a friend who tried to export my body and it got there without concern, ie that it had no aliasing. Here's the catch she realized:

http://www.cac-guitares.fr/stockage/anais1.jpg
http://www.cac-guitares.fr/stockage/anais2.jpg
http://www.cac-guitares.fr/stockage/anais3.jpg

This means that my work is done correctly but a problem arises in the export or import. But which one? Blender, i set my default shape, I put on "no sliders" and verified that shapes my shape keys are deleted. Under SL, I imported normally by simply checking "include skin weight", nothing else!

- I thought my viewer might have a problem so I tried to import under the official viewer and the result is the same.

- I thought my version of Blender Avastar or perhaps had a problem so I've updated and the concern is still there!

That's ... You know all about my problem and you are really my only hope! If you ever have an idea of ​​what could happen this ...

Today, I will try to redo everything properly: Reinstall Blender removing preference files, create a blank document and do a "append" with my body. Obviously, I will use the latest version of Blender and Avastar!

I would also like to know if it's a good idea to put weight on the bones only dedicated to fitting (and abandon the bones dedicated to rigging)?

Thank you in advance for any help, she will be invaluable! If you have even one idea that crosses your mind but are not sure that it can help me, I care anyway!

You are aware that you can have no more than 4 weights per vertex? From what i can see i suspect that your model uses more than 4 weights per vertex at the jaggy areas of your mesh. The Avastar exporter automatically reduces the number of weights to 4 if necessary. This can result in problems like you see.

I am not very good at guessing what else could cause such issues. So i can't be very helpful unless i can take a look at the blend file. As i already mentioned you can simplify the blend file and remove everything that is not related to the problem.

"You are aware that you can have no more than 4 weights per vertex? From what i can see i suspect that your model uses more than 4 weights per vertex at the jaggy areas of your mesh. The Avastar exporter automatically reduces the number of weights to 4 if necessary. This can result in problems like you see."

No, I did not know and I'm really happy to know, this is good news! I will go and put this into application to avoid over 4 influences per vertex. Thank you, Gaia! I would tell you if it worked! :-)

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while since I'm not back here but I wanted to thank everyone who came to my aid, especially Gaia because the problem was indeed a problem of superposition of my weight. Limiting them to four layers, my problems of crenellated surface have disappeared. I wanted to thank and clarify it for those who encounter the same problem as me, in the future.

Thank you again. ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.