Problem with Preview of Low LOD Mesh

Madisen Babenco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firstly apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I've been unable to find a similar problem when searching.  I am trying to upload a sofa model, my high LOD preview looks fine as you can see from the screenshot.  When I select the file for my Low LOD the preview looks farked, although it looks find in blender. As you can see the plane used for the shadow is stretched and some of my cushions seem to have converted to very straight edged box like shapes.  Can somebody explain what I am doing wrong, I'm really confused. Thanks

I guess this sofa is made of multiple mesh objects. If so, you need to name each mesh inside Blender so that the importer can sort them correctly.

The naming convention looks like this from high to lowest, and physics shape.

Sofa
Sofa_LOD2
Sofa_LOD1
Sofa_LOD0
Sofa_PHYS

Cushion_A
Cushion_A_LOD2
Cushion_A_LOD1
etc.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Uploading-a-mesh-model/ta-p/974185#Section_.4.1

With the information you both provided I managed to finally get my model loaded in world at a land impact of 7 which I am quite happy with.  I now have another problem but I'm wondering if its is caused by the way I uploaded.  When I uploaded my model all LODS had the same default material, after the upload I then did my texture baking and uploaded them separately and applied to the sofa.  Now the problem is when I am close the the sofa all the textures appear fine, however, when I zoom out some of the textures start to turn black.  Is this because I haven't assigned my textures to every LOD model in blender?  I just get over one hurdle and there is another one now lol.  Any advice appreciated :)

If it doesn't throw an error during upload, the materials assignments should be fine. It does more look like the UVs of the low LOD aren't matching the hi LOD UVs.
Or (it's kinda hard to see in your zoomed out image) it's possible the cushions have only a single triangle left in the lowest LOD facing towards the sofa, and the blackness is just the AO from the sofas texture.

Thing is, the LOD switch points are size dependent. So when zooming out you may look still at the hi or medium LOD of the sofa, but the smaller cushions will be displayed at their lowest LOD already.
If you did your upload like it is shown in the importer image in your first post, with only the hi and low LOD as custom LODs, this is at least a possibility. But like I said, it's hard to see what's actually going on in the image.

However, while you are at it, and creating LOD models, I would recommend to create the lowest LOD models by hand as well. The lowest LOD will be very important to keep the models appearance under control over the full range of LODs. Especially for small items like the cushions.

So I would say it's either non matching UVs, or  poor lowest LOD models on the cushions.

Could be something else though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.