My worn mesh appears partly transparent with missing parts until right clicked.

Chriss Daysleeper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's what I mean:

2121.png121.png

In the first image, you can see that there's transparent areas and missing parts all together. This is how my mesh looks when it's first attached. It will stay like this until I right click it.

It's also the same for anyone else that's wearing it, and they experience the same issue.

What's going on here exactly? Any ideas?

Please tell us whether this happens if you rez on the ground instead of wearing it, and if it does, how many triangles it has. You can see the triangle count in the uploader, or you can turn on Show Info->Show Render Info in the Develop menu - then if you select something the third, indented line from the bottom of the overlay text shows the triangle and vertex counts of the selected object. Finally, your 3D software should give you a triangle count, which might be different.

Hi!

From what I can tell, it does occur slightly when I rez it on the ground, but it very quickly corrects itself. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. The problem appears mostly when attatching it to an avatar.

The maximum triangle count is: 9822 and 4911 vertices. The numbers seem quite high.

I would say Alpha sorting issue. Check if your texture contains an unnecessary alpha channel. In the Build floaters Texture tab, check if it's set to Alpha blending. If so set the masking mode to None, and see if it's still doing it.

I've actually gone ahead and cleaned my mesh up in Blender and my trangles are now effectively halfed (4355) The problem doesn't appear to be there anymore, though I feel like I still need time to tell.

Anyway, it is indeed set to Apha blending and the masking is set to none, so I don't think that appears to be the issue. As for the normals, they SHOULD be fine. All I have to do is recalculate them, right?

Chriss Daysleeper wrote:

Anyway,
it is indeed set to Apha blending and the masking is set to none
, so I don't think that appears to be the issue. As for the normals, they SHOULD be fine. All I have to do is recalculate them, right?

I'm sorry, but I don't get that. How can it be set to Alpha blending, AND to None at the same time?

If your texture contains an unnecessary alpha channel, upload a texture without an alpha channel, to save on everyones memory and bandwidth at least.

Yeah. If your object isn't supposed to be transparent as a whole or in parts, never upload a texture with transparency (Alpha channel).

It happens by accident occasionally when saving out textures in the PNG format, and Photoshop. Photoshops handling of PNGs is rather poor. That's why I prefer the Targa (.tga) format. Saving tga as 24 bit instead of 32 bit eliminates the alpha channel altogether. Easy to use.

--||-
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.