Multi-Tile Texture

JackRipper666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I was just curious does Mesh in SL support anything like Multi Tile uv map textures? I was just curious cause with the possiblity of going as high as 65536 vertices. It could really be useful to have more 0-1 UV maps available. Lots of programs like Maya, Mari and Zbrush support this as well. I Don't know about blender. Anyway was just a thought.

Thank you for the relpy! Yea I figured that part out but when I go to paint on these maps. Do they all have to be on top of each other overlapping? Or can I do it how you're suppose to in 3D editor like Maya where you layout each UV map on it's own 0-1 space plane. I'm not sure if Second life would see those maps if I don't lay them all out in one UV plane. 

The question of whether to put each map in the primary tile (0-1), or to lay them out in separate tiles, is laregely dependent on what specific combination of software you're using.  If you're using Mudbox for texturing, for example, that program loves it when you break things up into multiple tiles, but there are other programs that get all kinds of confused by it.

SL seems to have no problem with it.  So if you're only using Maya and SL, do whatever you're most comfortable with. 

Myself, I often use separate tiles while I'm working, just to keep things easy to see (and because I do use Mudbox).  When I'm done, I'll usually snap each map back to the main tile, before export, to help ensure maximum compatibility with the most amount of programs.

In Blender, you can have (parts of) a UV map outside the main 0:1 square, and when it comes into SL it behaves as if the texture was tiled infinitely in both ndimensions. So in that context, your tiling would work. However, I have never inspected such a case in the collada file. So don't know whether UV corrdinates are rounded to 0:1 by the exporter. I would guess not. In which case it would work in other contexts too (whether or not the uploader does adjust it). Of course you still have to use different materials if you want to apply different textures, but it would allow you to look at all their UV maps next to each other. 

For anyone not following this, here's an illustration (again I'm a beginning intermediate Blender user so I may be missing some subtleties here):

Note it that the UVs can positioned outside the positive 0-1 uv grid space and here each mesh box is assigned it's own material so that in SL a seperate texture can be applied.  Within  Blender a second material isn't required to assign various faces in an object to different textures, but  in SL you must to assign material groups to create texture seperation.

Also it's important to note that you can only manipulate and paint the texture within the visible grid section.  From there the texture gets applied to the mesh as an infinitely repeating pattern, so its important to view your mesh in texture view in the 3d edit screen to make certain it's place in the manner you desire.

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 9.43.26 AM.png

SL view:  

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 10.04.25 AM.png

Ah ok, sounds cool! Thanks guys, I'll have to give this a shot for fun with Maya. I'm curious if I can get similar results. So far I know assigning just lambert materials to each uv works and even works if I assign them to a single face on the mesh. It works with overlapping UV's to so I guess if I had to I could paint them not overlapped and then maybe go through the effort of moving my maps and textures all into one 0-1 uv plane. That's if it don't work like blender lol.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.