Mulipul mesh objects created seperatly but joining

beli Lorefield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've created several mesh planes for a swing i'm building. However when I go into object mode it selects all of them I can't select indivdual planes... or at least I haven't figured it out.. and I've tried search.. but maybe I'm using the wrong serach terms.. 

Hi

1: Go back into Edit mode.

2: Select one of the planes that you want to be a separate mesh object.

3: With the plane selected hit the shortcut key  P to separate it from the others.

4: From the popup menu choose Selection.

5: Return to Object mode and you will find that the plane is now a separate Object.

Just to note: To Join separate mesh objects into one Object its  Ctr + J

Is there a way to stop it from happening or is it just the program itself? I've seen tutorials where say someone is making a chair, and they are making the bcak of it, and they can click on just one single object they have created in object  view.. or at least I think I have... 

In Object mode every time you Add a new mesh primitive ( Plane, Cube, Circle, Cylinder etc ) you are creating a separate mesh Object

If you do the same in Edit mode, you are adding geometry to the existing mesh Object.

If you were going to create a mesh chair, (a single mesh Object) you would, for example Add a mesh cube in Object mode, then tab into Edit mode and complete the chair.

If you then duplicated the chair while still in edit mode you would have 2 identical chairs but they would be only one mesh object. In edit mode there are many different ways you could select one of those chairs, the most common perhaps is first select one vertex, (or edge, or face) and then hit the L key. That would select all parts of the mesh object that are joined to that vertex.

If you were in Object mode and duplicated the chair you would have two mesh Objects.

In general when creating a single mesh object , add the original mesh primitive in Object mode and do all the rest of the meshing in Edit mode.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.