Modified a 100% Mesh House, LI increased

Ahnue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LAQ-Decor-Serene-Tree-Windmill-Home/6876323 that house.  Its more house then i need so i took out the ladder system and series of decks and walkways leading up to the main floor of the house to save on LI.  All went well as the first deck and walkways were pulled out..LI went down about 30.  But when I pulled the second deck out, it went up about 50 LI.  Nothing was resized...only objects unlinked to be pulled out.  Is this because a link set was taken apart and not relinked?  Going to get a sim restart and see if that helps but just curious if anyone here can tell me.  Thanks for any input you can give.  :)

I wonder if the unlinking changed whichever the  root prim of the building was? Its physics properties (None, prim, or convex hull) will have a bearing on the LI - as well as the mesh parts' "walkability".

Physics shape: None will make you fall through mesh floors and walk through walls, convex hull can mean that some prim shapes become impossible to walk into.

• Like 1

If  a linkset consists of only traditional prims with no normal or specular maps etc., with prim-type physics shapes, then its LI is calculated with the legacy system as 1.0 per prim. If this is then linked to  mesh, or a normal map etc is added, it switches to tyhe new LI system, where each prim can be as little as 0.5 (server weight) if it is ismple enough. So if you unlinked the last object from the linkset that could induce new accounting, the LI of the remaining simple prims could as much as double. This might explain the effect. Try setting the normal (bumpiness) map to "Blank" on one of the remaining prims and see if the LI is reduced as a result.

But you say it's 100% mesh - in which case that can't b the explanation.

• Like 1

Ahnue wrote:

Is this because a link set was taken apart and not relinked? 

If you have your house unlinked now, that could be the issue.

Here's the thing and I will try and explain it sort of technically LOL which I am not all that good at.

Each piece of mesh has three parts to its land impact. You can see these by clicking on the "More Info" button in the build menu.  Download weight, physics weight and server weight. 

Download and physics weights vary but server weight is always .5 (half a land impact point). When an object is LINKED all of the various weights are added together.   When unlinked, the lowest any  single object can be is .5 which ROUNDS UP TO 1. So for example you can link a .5 land impact picture frame to another one and they will be 1 land impact. Unlinked they will be ONE EACH.

So for a more complex example like your house, you can have a linked object that has 30 parts. The lowest it can be when linked would be 15. When unlinked the lowest is can be is 30.   It could be MORE than 15 or 30 of course depending on the complexity of some of the pieces of mesh. There are many times when building a complex item such as a house that the builder can keep adding bits and pieces to the final build and get NO land increase. I just love that. It's like a bonus. 

Even if you take a prim build house made up of cubes and change it to convex hull in the features tab you lower the land impact by half. This will only work on houses with indivual walls and doorways of course or you get that "can't walk into the house" issue.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.