Mesh transparent inside

Vivi Kayor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I am the begginner at 3d programs, which I learn to use. I try to create garments, and use marvelous 4, zbrush + blender for that purpose. During that process I met with a problem with a transparent inner side of my garment. I used different ways of solving this problem, which I read about in other threads on the same topic. And still there is a problem - because when I create the inner layer of faces, my UV map gets spoiled and doubled. If I had one element on my texture map, I have it doubled after changing. 

I bought some ready meshes from Meli Imako and FLECHA, and I see that they are visible from both sides, and their UV map contains only one element for each element of the 3d model. I can't understand how does that work.

http://imgur.com/DkGo9NR,55qlKir#1

http://imgur.com/DkGo9NR,55qlKir#0

This may not be a terribly helpful answer, but it is all going to depend on the process the designer is using in making the clothes. The order in which you do things and the techniques you use are using will change how things map to you textures.

For example, let's say you are using the Solidify modifier on a model. If you UV unwrap the original model first and then apply the modifier to get the full mesh, then the inner and outer faces generated by the modifier will map the the same area in the UV map. Essentially the UV mapping you did on the original mesh gets inherited by both sides of the new solidified mesh.

If, on the other hand, you apply the Solidify modifier first and then do the UV unwrapping, the inner and outer faces are treated as completely different faces by the UV unwrapping function and will be placed in different areas. The UV unwrapping code basically has no way to know that the two faces are really the same spot on the dress.

I don't know the specific methods you are using or what the other designers are doing, so it's hard to have an exact answer, but I expect it is something along those lines.

One other point somewhat related to your question. It's really a secondary consideration, but it's a point about efficient design. I would recommend considering carefully if you need the interior faces. More precisely, I would recommend considering which interior faces you need and which you don't. When a dress is being worn, some of the interior surfaces will be visible from different angles but some won't ever been seen. On the dress you show in your screenshots, the interior faces on the corset and upper skirts at the very least are not going to be seen since they're going to be pressed up tightly against the body. Those faces are unnecessary and increase the download and rendering cost of the mesh without providing benefits. It's not terrible that those faces are there, but it's a place where the mesh could be a bit better. Removing them altogether would make that dress just a little bit easier for everyones' viewers to render. If the dress's rendering cost is fine as it is, however, removing those faces would leave room for additional detail somewhere else in the dress.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.