Mesh rigging/subsurf issue Blender/Avastar

Avou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a problem with smoothness when making rigged hair. When I export a rigged hair from Blender, using Avastar to rig, I loose the smooth curves of the hair and instead get ugly sharp edges when my avatar is moving.

I have a nice soft blend of weights from red to blue on each hair piece, plus it bends really nicely inside Blender, so I don´t think that is the issue.

I noticed that if I move the Subsurf modifier above the Armature in the Modify stack, I get the same result inside Blender as when I import it into SL (see pic 1).

My theory is that the subsurf modifier gets applied before the armature no matter what order I have it inside Blender, and therefore gives the ugly bends. Am I doing something wrong when exporting? Can it be worked around and get the nice smooth look as in the second picture in SL?

hair-subsurf.jpghair-armature.jpg

Any ideas about how to fix this are greatly appreciated! I spent lots of time trying to figure out what I´m doing wrong... and still not getting it.  Thanks in advance :)

First of all a super important note:

During export all modifiers get applied except the armature modifier. If we would apply the armature modifier then all animation data would be applied to a static pose. that is not what you want. Because of this you should always keep the armature modifier at the bottom of the modifier stack.

Now to your hair tip issue:

This looks like bad weights on the hair tip. Please check if your hair tip has only one weight. If that is so then it will behave like it where not weighted at all regardless of the weight you give to it.

Addition: Why does the subdivision modifier smooth the mesh when it is at the bottom?

Thats simply because it subdivides the juggy output from the armature modifier (2 subdividions in your case) and thus the final mesh looks smooth.

Thank you for your super quick answer!

Okay, I will always keep subdivition modifyer at bottom. I guess it is a weight issue after all. I've read and watched just about everything I could get my hands on regarding weight painting... but I still feel I'm missing some vital information. :/

The hair tip is 8 vertices scaled down to zero to form the tip, all those vertices has the weight of mChest = 1

The vertice ring above the tip (where the ugly bend is) has the weight of mChest = 0.9 and mHead = 0.1

Avou wrote:

The hair tip is 8 vertices scaled down to zero to form the tip, all those vertices has the weight of mChest = 1

The vertice ring above the tip (where the ugly bend is) has the weight of mChest = 0.9 and mHead = 0.1

2 remarks:

1. by scaling down the ring of 8 verts to zero in order to form the hair tip is not a good idea. This creates duplicate vertices at the hair tip. You can fix this by removing duplicate verts and thus make the tip just 1 vert (although i am not sure if that looks nice either).
  2. Whenever a vertex has just one single weight (weighted to one bone only) it behaves as if it where not at all weighted. Thus when your hair tip vertices are all weighted to mChest = 1 then the hair tip actually moves like it is clamped to the chest. when you now move the head, then the hair tip keeps at its place. To fix this set the weight of mHead to a small value > 0 you might need to experiment a bit to find a good value. But do NOT USE 0!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.