Mesh permissions?

SpookyHollows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While uploading my meshes, I've been wandering about permissions. 
When you get an object from someone, sometimes you can move it around. But the texture is locked, so you can't change the textures, how would I do that? 

I want to make it so that people could move some of my meshes around and rotate them. But can't edit the texture. 
I also want to make sure that nobody can copy the object and resell it. Is there a way to set that up? 

SpookyHollows wrote:

While uploading my meshes, I've been wandering about permissions. 

When you get an object from someone, sometimes you can move it around. But the texture is locked, so you can't change the textures, how would I do that?

You can always move an object you own even if it is no-modify.

SpookyHollows wrote:

I want to make it so that people could move some of my meshes around and rotate them. But can't edit the texture. 

I also want to make sure that nobody can copy the object and resell it. Is there a way to set that up? 

I suggest you set permissions to copy, no modify, no transfer. That way the next owner can make additional copies for backup  and for their own use but not give away or sell to anybody else.

That being said... no offense but this is fairly basic knowledge for SL builders, how much experience do you have building for Second Life? Experience making mesh for other virtual worlds, games and 3D chatrooms is great of course but it is not enough. Second Life mesh has a lot of peculiaritires you need to be familiar with before you are able to make efficient mesh for the place.

Ahhhh, ok nevermind...that was really dumb of me. (I didn't have an alt to test stuff out on)

I have fairly decent knowledge of making meshes in Blender, as I have already made quite a few. I just wanted to make sure that people could move my stuff, but not re-texture it, as I don't bake the textures in Blender...not sure how to do that. I just add textures in SL. 

I'm not that good at coding, only permissions I've ever set up were on Minecraft servers lol 
Ah well, at least I know it works now. xD

At the very bottom of the GENERAL tab in the BUILD menu there is a box where you can check so that anyone can move your item. No one will be able to copy it unless you set the mesh to "take a copy" or sell it to someone with copy permissions.

So let's say you have a beach ball (there was one LONG ago at the induction area for new folks). Anyone could kick that ball and it would move. The BIG issue is that since anyone can move your item you will not be able to keep track of it easily. So you might want to think on your plan a bit. If it is in an enclosed building, that of course solves the problem.   

Yea, I just meant that when people bought the item from my store on the marketplace lol 
so they can move it around in their own home. xD I don't exactly have a home on there, just a small apartment where I've been uploading and editing my meshes. I haven't messed with the toolbars that often, as I'm always constantly changing viewers. 

I suggest taking time to learn how SL works, before you make some costly and embarrassing mistakes.  Knowing how to make things in Blender and how things work in Minecraft or IMVU is nice, but you're in Second Life.  For basic skills, spend time at Caledon Oxbridge University in world.  They have an extensive set of very helpful self-paced tutorials.  For building skills (and things like permissions), the Ivory Tower of Primitives is still one of the best basic tutorial areas, but I'd suggest taking a couple of classes at Builder's Brewery or NCI.  You'll be able to ask specific questions to experienced SL builders.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.