Mesh Vehicle Report with Pics.

HD Pomeray

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just as an FYI regarding draw weight/display weight.

With display weight and draw weight being calculated in the same way; keep in mind that the base avatar, without *any* attachments or invisible textures has a draw weight of 1000. (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rendering_weight) HD's bike, weighing in at 11000 seems pretty OK to me...

- Luc -

This covers a lot of terrain, The bikes are beautiful. I do mesh building as well, but i am coiming from another perspective as one who has had professional experience in the gaming industry, and have absorbed  build efficiency over my 2o years at this.  For  the company I work on in Sl we had only two concerns. L.I. and  Physics, since our buisiness is vehicles. it is becoming common that sim owners are adopting a standard (usualy in combat sims) of no vehicles may participate if their LI os over 100. we use that as our creative limit. witht he size penalties currently on mesh we have had to have been very creative.

Mesh Chalolenger 2 Tank at Sim, Undine Shore

this tank has an LI of 83, and does so by having brutal lowest LODs.  the LODs' were hand made, rather than decomposed mesh, and had custom Collision hulls (which resulted in superior off road capabilities.) 

Howeve3r witht he introduction of this tank  there have been complaints by people that they cannot "see" mesh , usually because of having inadequate hardware, I'm not amenable to their arguements, and when working in the game industry we aimed for specific hardware specs for our games. I do not think consideration for inferior hardware should be that much fo a concern, should it?

--Karl 

Karl,

That is one incredible looking tank.  I would be interested in knowing more about its scripted functions such as the treads, the turret, does it fire, do avis ride inside it and control it.  It would also be interesting to know what it's display weights is. 

As far as people not being able to see mesh on your sim, you may want to suggest that they try adjusting the MeshMaxConcurrentRequests in the debug settings.  Default is 32...  I set mine up to 100.

Go to the advanced menu ----> Show Debug settings ----> MeshMaxConcurrentRequests ---- Set to 100

The tank does indeed have moving tracks and wheels. the turret does indeed track and function, take a look at the Store at the sim Undine Shore to see it in person.  Un like the earlier AMOK tanks, because it's mesh, there are no (0) worn attatchments. The combat system is VICE, and BNWCS, and shooting is done in Mouselook. 

Love the  hint about seeing mesh. that's makes sense. also apparently, the newest downloads for the Linden Labds client are set to LOD on and My preference was LOD 3, and they changed the menu so you can't reset it easily.

--Karl 

Actually, for those folks, it was achoice. Some are trunning the Linnux client on reallyc rappy hardware because theya re technopeasants. Others refuse to leave thephoenix client behind. A thid group were formerly , moderately successful Sl businesses that, cannot produce mesh products, and are trying to sell the buggywhips as fast as they can, and decrying the new automobiles.

--karl

No, but many of them are refusintg to run Mesh Clients for superstitious or self serving reasons.

(A lot of women won't bu ymesh clothes because those on on-mesh compliant viewers would see them as naked.)

Mesh acceptance rates seem to be climbing though.

Scott 

Karl Reisman wrote:

Love the  hint about seeing mesh. that's makes sense. also apparently, the newest downloads for the
Linden Labds client are set to LOD on and My preference was LOD 3, and they changed the menu so you can't reset it easily

--Karl 

I don't quite follow... Which preference is this?

- Luc -

hit "ctrl+Alt+D" to bring up the "advanced" menu. go to the "Debug setting", and from that list scroll down to "rendervolumeLOD" the default will probably be 1.25. Change it to 3 or 4 (anythng after four isn't worth it), and meshes, and sculpts wil look nicer, farther away.

Thanks, Karl. I knew about this debug setting, and thought perhaps this was the one you were thinking of. Just needed to ask to make sure. You're right - it is set way to low by default. Always have been.

Oh, btw. You can enable the Advanced menu from the advanced tab in preferences. At least in the LL viewer, and perhaps also in V2/3 based TPVs.

- Luc -

Karl Reisman wrote:

No, but many of them are refusintg to run Mesh Clients for superstitious or self serving reasons.

That's strange...we didn't have this kind of kickback on the sculpted primatives rollout, save for problems compiling viewers that supported it on Linux amd64 initially.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.