Mesh Uploading Issues [error: material of model is not a subset of reference model]

Catwa Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here is my head that has eyes/ face/head.. lokks messed up with error

https://gyazo.com/6c33f8a869581358b0ff6edcdb6da34f

i already read older posts asking about same issue but i dont understand how to change materials on the LOD! i use blender and this head i used it before was working very well but then i reshaped it cut its half and applier mirror to it etc etc... no mirror modifiers on anymore and all right materials are set, blender has more materials in the drop down list donno how to delete them i tried deleted some but still like 4 more or 5 materials extra not used.. i just donno what to do please help!

Catwa Clip wrote:

donno how to delete them i tried deleted some but still like 4 more or 5 materials extra not used..

In Blender you need to go to object mode rather than edit mode to delete materials. But you better make sure you don't delete any that are actually used, there is no waring message if you do.

That is not the problem here though. The "not a subset" error message means the uploader can't get the medium, low and/or lowest LOD models to match the high. That simply shouldn't be possible when you use LOD models generated by the uploader itself. (You shouldn't do that btw but that's a different topic.).

My best theory is that your mesh simply is so heavy the uploader throws a fit. In theory you can upload meshes with more than 60 000 triangles to SL but according to Drongle and others, you can expect serious problems long before you reach that level and 23 000 triangles is quite extreme.

I'm not sure how many triangles would be reasonable for an object like this. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say about one tenth of what you have but it might be much lower.

Gaia Clary just posted a more detailed explanation in a different thread:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Error-after-error-in-mesh-uploader/m-p/2971043#M32625

It is probably the number of triangles that is the problem. If your high resolution model has more than 21844 triangles in the same face, that face will be split up into several by the uploader. The other models don't have that many tris in total so they will keep the original number of faces.

I suppose that counts as a bug in the uploader but really, meshes with that many triangles will be extremely heavy and contribute a lot to lag and using LOD models generated by the uploader is not recommended in any case.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, tabletopfreak Toocool said:

I'm having an issue just like this.. Mesh body rigged and segmented low poly like 4k for the torso and it uploaded fine but then I UV mapped it and I'm getting this subset error

This issue has come up quite a few times lately. There are a couple of threads about it, and what could cause it, what fixes it. But it's always a guessing game for us to give a good answer.
Probably it would be best if you could post the mesh in question, so some of us could take a look at it. It might also help to mention which program you are working with.
Perhaps you could just take a portion of the mesh, and upload that somewhere, if you don't want to share the complete mesh, which is quite understandable. If that portion will show the same error that is indeed.

I don't know if it would work, but it might be a good idea if we could get a sticky thread at the top of this forum stating a few (or more) criteria for posts seeking help with mesh issues. Very often, a request for help by someone will be followed by posts from potential helpers seeking more information about such things as the users workflow, project specifics, programs used, viewer used etc...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.