Mesh Plane Trouble

Bella Hobble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have made a nice little decor piece. The main part of it is made form two planes that are connected. It looks great in blender. I made my Uv map and exported both. But when I uploaded the decor piece it looks odd. Like parts of it are transparent yet when I look at it form a different view it switches.. Any ideas?

Snapshot_001.jpg

I can't tell from the image you posted, but from your description it sounds like you have an alpha sorting issue.  I'm guessing that you have textured both planes (faces) with a 32-bit texture.  They are fairly close together and nearly parallel.  If so, you'd get alpha sorting because your graphics card is having a hard time deciding which plane is "in front" of the other one.  You might try using alpha masking mode  instead of alpha blending (as long as you're not using partial transparency), or just using a 24-bit texture (as long as you don't need transparency at all).

It looks to me like your normals are flipped. If you are using blender there is an option to show polygons as doubles sided.  I always turn this feature off so I can see more clearly if I've accidently flipped the normals.  In the "N" Transform pallette, in the Shading sub-palette, check off "back faced culling"

I forgot to also mention that to correct the problem:  Select all the faces and press CTL N to flip them to the outside.  If you are having difficulty with some faces not flipping to the exterior, then you may have "non-manifold" geometry which can happen with extruding, where a face is extruded inside your mesh (non manifold geoemetry is three or more faces that connect to one edge).  You  can quickly uncover such hidden geometry in edge or vertice selection mode with SHIFT CTL ALT M and then delete the offending faces.  Be aware that open boundry geometry will also be highlighted  when you use this shortcut (I'm not sure why),  so you need to take care that you don't accidently delete that boundry geometry.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.