Mesh Physics Models - planes and cubes and platforms

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am posting this here mostly because I think it is pretty interesting to mesh makers AND could possibly have some ties to Sansar (I know not - I am not there) since we know so little about mesh uploading at the moment.

New code is coming out in Opensim which is going to require actual physics models for uploading (clapping). This will break a lot of old content including ANY content made with planes physics.

Now happily I have always used cube physics because -- as I remember -- Drongel showed me how. He may also have mentioned alternatives but four years ago any method that would work was fine with me.

I personally think it would be a good thing if physics models were required in SL. I see a lot of items that were probably uploaded with 'lowest" setting. I should NOT be able to walk through a dresser.

Anyway, just some news from the hinterlands.

PS. The devs by the way had the advice to "just reupload". Yeah, right. OK if it is said dresser. Not so good for houses and other more complex items.

On the positive side having to have an actual physics mesh would cut down on the folks uploading mesh that they have not made (yes, I know that is against the TOS but we know it happens).

Chic Aeon wrote:

New code is coming out in Opensim which is going to require actual physics models for uploading (clapping). This will break a lot of old content including ANY content made with planes physics.

Do you have more info about that? All I could find was an article about one particular grid (can't mention names here of course) had finally started to penalize mesh with too complicated physics.

Its version 0.9 of opensim and you can find a fair bit on g+ of all places where its a bit genteel. For a given value of genteel ofc =^^=

The grid penalising mesh is doing it also for physics 'heaviness' and a search for the one that spins up worlds on demand will take you to it. Which is the reason it gives for having to do so. Its very fun to keep a watch on. Heres a clue, its initial is repeated 3 times in my name.

I did some testing on OS grid's Sandbox III this morning and items with physics meshes that I made for SL yesterday worked exactly the same there. Land impact was a bit lower on OS but other than that identical as far as I could see.

Very happy I have always used CUBES for my physics models as that is needed in this OS version.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.