Mesh Clothing Clipping Threw

LovelyLouise3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if someone with Mesh Clothing experience could contact me. I created a mesh dress with sorta a dual skirt on the bottom. The inside skirt sometimes clips threw the outside skirt and because I used an Ambient Occulusion layer it's black shadow that's clipping threw. 

I've expereinced this a few times and also retextured or tried to fix it with texturing but wondering if there is a reason it does this and how to make it stop.

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply.

I tried making the inner skirt partial invisible but it made it worse. I really like the design of the inner skirt and top ruffle skirt and would really like to keep the design as is if possible. 

I'm using weighted bodysuits and don't know to much about manual weight painting.

I totally understand that you would like to keep it like it is. :matte-motes-smile: Though I'm afraid without manually tweaking the weights, this isn't really fixable. And even then it might not work well, if the topology differs too much between the layers.

But like I said, I never made a skirt. :matte-motes-whistle: Maybe someone else has an idea what to do.

I don't know much about making skirts in Blender as I've never tried it.  If I were you, I'd keep the tier effect.  I've have skirts like that and like the style.  They are made so that the bottom ruffle doesn't go all the way up to the waistband of the skirt, just a bit above the end of the upper ruffle and then textures are used to simulate a full length skirt.  That may be your solution to this.  It should also lower the number of triangles in the skirt making it easier for the system to render it.

When I make such meshes, I usually build the "proxy" mesh with even network of quads
https://gyazo.com/b5c231153815cc95c08f715e43015b23, then weight it manually. So later I can use weight transfer tool to copy its weights to any clothing layers I have. Another thing to remember is to have similar topology on all the layers (similar number of edge loops) https://gyazo.com/388532542716295cd93a200d3a80e03f. In this case one can expect all the layers to bend correctly. But since you're using Marvellous Designer for making meshes, you're not having any control on topology. So interpenetration is almost guaranteed.

You can try as SassyRomano said. Retopologising. Though it is easier to weight clothes that you made poly by poly, while being mindful of correct edge placement from the start.

Deleting the occluded polygons is a good band-aid fix too

There is a key to avoiding this problem.

First, I can't tell why you have a layer under the skirt that is facing outward... in-ward sure.

In SL faces are ONLY visible from one side. To have a face visible from inside the skirt and outside the skirt you have to have 2 faces... one with a normal pointing out and one pointed in.

The black poke through has a normal pointing out. Why? What is the purpose of that?

I suspect that whole layer of black faces/polygoons can be elminated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.