Mesh Ava and Clothes don't fit after Upload

Amphei Jierdon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I modelled a mesh ava in Blender/Avastar which worked quite nicely. Next I made a bikini which exactly fits in Blender as you can see at this picture:

2015-04-27_08h51_11.png

Unfortunately, after uploading to SL, the bikini looks like this: 

2015-04-27_08h49_40.png

I have no idea, what is the reason. All parts have the same pivot point and have applied location, rotation and scale. Can anyone pls help me to find the reason, why the bikini and the avatar mesh have different sizes in SL?

Did you test the attachment with differnet poses in Blender?

From first appearance it looks like your bikini is not weighted correctly. You probably have weights from the collar bone spreading down to the breasts.

Just to have mentioned it: did you use the same shape in SL as you used in Blender?

Gaia Clary wrote:

Did you test the attachment with differnet poses in Blender?

From first appearance it looks like your bikini is not weighted correctly. You probably have weights from the collar bone spreading down to the breasts.

Just to have mentioned it: did you use the same shape in SL as you used in Blender?

Thanks for your reply :)

I think, the weighting is correct, this bikini doesn't have many critical zones. All vertices of the top are assigned to mChest bone with a weight of 1, and the bottom mesh is assigned to mPelvis, also with a weight of 1. 

But maybe you are right about the shape. I imported my shape from SL, but I have removed the shape keys (because I had some trouble using the morror modifier). but I did this at the ava mesh as well as at the bikini mesh. 

But changing shapes inworld seems to have no effect.

Well, this is was fatal decision :matte-motes-dont-cry:

The fact that your bikini had shape keys may be because you had enabled the SL Appearance sliders on your mesh. So the right way to fix this would have been to disable the sliders before applying the mirror modifier.

I also suspect that there is a huge misunderstanding with how to use Avastar. Actually the Sliders are mostly used for testing your mesh and for creating variants of your mesh. If you want to design a mesh clothing for exactly one shape, then the recommended workflow is:

1. Create new Avastar
  2. Apply the SL Shape to it (load the XML Shape file)
  3. Model your mesh to fit the shape (and keep sliders disabled)
  4. export/import/done

To fix the problems in your case, you need to go a rather long route, but actually you can do this in less then 5 minutes after you did it once or twice (its not complicated):

1. Freeze the bikini as standalone. Use the freeze tool in the tool shelf. But do NOT check the remove weights option. You want to keep the weights intact!
  2. Delete the entire Avastar character and its rig. (it is completely broken anyways after you removed the shape keys)
  3. Now you should have only the "frozen version" of your bikini in the scene. Save this as a new blend file (just for backup)
  4. Check that the mesh has no armature modifier (just to be sure)
  5. Add a new Avastar character
  6. Import your SL Shape. Now your blender character should have the exact same shape as your Second Life Avatar.
  7. Take care: do not yet bind the bikini to the Armature!
  8. First you fit the bikini mesh (in edit mode) to the new character (if necessary). Also keep the Avastar shape keys as they are! Also do NOT enable the SL appearance sliders. (You do not need the sliders in your case!!!)
  9. When the bikini fits nicely, then bind it with KEEP weights (tool shelf avastar skinning panel)
  10. export to collada, import to SL, and enjoy.

i hope this fixes your issues. Should you still encounter any other problems, then please consider to use our ticket system (on the Machinimatrix website)

Amphei Jierdon wrote

But changing shapes inworld seems to have no effect.

Well, this is another issue, that is your bikini is not weighted to fitted mesh bones (collision volumes). Because of that the breast sliders won't do anything in Second Life. However, some sliders should woirk, especially the sliders for Body Height and Body thickness should work (and some of the torso sliders should work as well).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.