Marvelous designer tutorial.

VesperiaStarfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, does anyone know where I could find a basic tutorial for marvelous designer? I was going to take a course at Ditko University on how to use it, but sadly it's closed. Does anyone know another place that offers free lessons on how to use it, or  know a good tutorial that teaches how to make simple clothes, how to rig them, and how to export them to secondlife. I would be very thankful if someone could help me :).

• Like 1

Vesperia one thing you need to know is mesh created with Marvelous Designer needs to be converted into Quads before importing it into SL.  If you don't you will get a weird light reflective random pattern plus the mesh won't bend as nicely as the avatar moves.

If you have ZBrush I hear turning Marvelous Designer mesh into quads is easy.  3D Coat can do it as well but takes quite a bit of prep work if you want to use the Auto Retopo feature because it doesn't like holes in mesh.

If you are going to use Maya here is link to a YouTube video showing how to use Maya to convert the mesh into quads.

I personally use Maya to convert my Marvelous Designer mesh I make.  I am on Maya 8.0 so unfortunately I can't use the same exact method that is in the video.  The method I came up with takes a longer than the video but I have more control over it and get much better  edge flow.  If you are also using an older version of Maya let me know.  I posted a detailed description on how I do it some time ago I will try and get you a link to it if you need it.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

• Like 1

Cathy Foil wrote:

Vesperia one thing you need to know is mesh created with Marvelous Designer needs to be converted into Quads before importing it into SL.  If you don't you will get a weird light reflective random pattern plus the mesh won't bend as nicely as the avatar moves.

It would be good if all designers who use Marvellous Designer did that. Unfortunately there are some designers who import clothes made in Marvellous Designer just as it is. Marvellous Designer mesh looks really weird, often the UV layout is weird too. The worst thing is that the mesh is unnecessarily far too dense for SL, which just adds general lag.

Thus, converting the mesh to quads and optimizing it is the proper way to do it.

Coby is absolutely right. :D

I create most of my stuff in Marvelous Designer with the default "Particle Distance" setting.  It controls how densely packed the verticies are.

I find that when I convert the mesh into quads in Maya I usually end up with half as many vertices as the Marvelous Designer mesh.

With my method I can either have the UV pattern that was in Marvelous designer or easily adjust or create new ones.

• 1 year later...

VesperiaStarfall wrote:

Hi everyone, does anyone know where I could find a basic tutorial for marvelous designer? I was going to take a course at Ditko University on how to use it, but sadly it's closed. Does anyone know another place that offers free lessons on how to use it, or  know a good tutorial that teaches how to make simple clothes, how to rig them, and how to export them to secondlife. I would be very thankful if someone could help me
:)

I found here some nice free Marvelous Designer tutorials on https://youtube.com/cgelves  (zombie costume tutorials are especialy cool I think)

If you really want to master Marvelous, check out this amazing Marvelous Designer course by CG elves: https://cgelves.com/courses-workshops/mastering-marvelous-designer/

It covers EVERYTHING you need to know to make clothes in Marvelous Designer! 

I bought it, she's a really good teacher and i've learend sooooo much already in the first week.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.