Lining for mesh clothing issue

Imagin Illyar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making a simple tank top.  I wanted the straps and the edge around the neckline to be lined just a bit to look natural where you see them come slightly away from the body.  I did an experiment in Blender 2.77.  

First I uploaded a fully lined version which uploaded inworld with a land impact value of 2.  

Then I went back to Blender and created the lining with just the straps and neckline parts.  Doing this made a dae file of less than half the orignial fully lined version but when I uploaded it using the exact same upload options it came inworld with a land impact value of 40.  The fully lined version had a land impact value of just 2.

Clearly I must be missing something.  Surely a top with less verts and a vastly smaller file size should have a corresponding smaller land impact value - but it doesn't.  It's 20 times bigger.  Anyone know why this might be happening?

Which of the parameters is causing the issue? Download or physics?   

If it is download then it is likely something went amiss with the redo of the tank (vertices overlapping or twisted or whatever) that the uploader gets confused with. 

This has happened to me twice when I used the wireframe modifier which the uploader doesn't like all that much because it IS sometimes pretty messy *wink*.  So if download cost IS the issue -- and not being able to lower the low and lowest LODs, then maybe doing your less faces version over might solve the issue OR some very close inspection to find the problem.

Beyond that I have no clue. 

But add some more info so the REALLY WISE FOLKS can help you out :D.   

Agree with Arton and Chick

Apart from the Li you will see 3 values while uploading your mesh

just right of Land impact

Download; physics and server

Please check those too, since 40 is extremely high guess that it is indeed the physics shape.

note that when the density of your physics shape is high you can get the effect that you're Li increases while decreasing the size of the mesh.

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner.  I was subscribed but the forum didn't notify me of the replies.  Anyway, it was the physics.  I had apparently forgotten to set it when uploading the mesh and didn't realize it when I made this post.  Hard to believe how much of a difference that makes though!  So now my fully lined top has a land impact of 2 and my partially lined top is just 1.  Much better than 40!  Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.  It was just a dumb mistake after all.  

Done properly (with physics set to lowest) I get:

Upload fee $11

Land impact 0.5

Download 0.389

Physics 0.2

Server 0.5

This looks pretty good to me.  Uploaded inworld land impact turns into 1 but I guess I can live with that :)

A Li of 2 for clothing seems ok to me, seen unfortunately a lot worse.

Trick in mastering reducing your Li is to play with your LODs in this case.

To do this efficient it's best to have nice quads if not it becomes even more tedious then it already is.

a tank top can be brought in for less then 1 but you will find that increase the time you work on it considerable. On the other hand it will be better to render for your customers.

Just simplify gradually your LOD 2  and 1 (medium and low) often it is not needed to get LOD 0 (lowest), the last one is quite have with even a minimum of tris.

Keep an eye when the collapse happens and do not touch the edges of a UV shell. If you do the UV will be totally deformed and your texture will appear quite weird as soon as you go to a lower LOD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.