LOD levels for a hud ?

Lexia Moonstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

Hello, really new at mesh.  I'm using blender to make some parts for a hud, do I even need to worry about the LOD levels for mesh objects used in a hud?

there has actually been an ongoing issue with some popular products with mesh HUD attachments.

test carefully to make sure that touch surfaces work properly with level of detail at a full range of settings (down to 1.0 at least), some builders have been neglecting this and forcing users to use higher settings for no good reason.

Hi

Seems I answered the question without properly understanding the problem , my bad.

Could you explain a little more why if the mesh HUD is fixed to the viewer its not always using the High LOD mesh ?

Or is it something special about allocating the touch surfaces ?

Aquila Kytori wrote:

Could you explain a little more why if the mesh HUD is fixed to the viewer its not always using the High LOD mesh ?

One plausible explanation is the way mesh loads. A mesh is first loaded as a default high poly cube or torus, this is then replaced by the lowest LOD model, then the low LOD model and so one until it gets to the model it's supposed to have. It's quite common for a mesh to get stuck at a lower LOD level than it should have though and that may be what happens with mesh HUDs

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

Hello, really new at mesh.  I'm using blender to make some parts for a hud, do I even need to worry about the LOD levels for mesh objects used in a hud?

there has actually been an ongoing issue with some popular products with mesh HUD attachments.

test carefully to make sure that touch surfaces work properly with level of detail at a full range of settings (down to 1.0 at least), some builders have been neglecting this and forcing users to use higher settings for no good reason.

Thanks That's good to know to test that way.  Do you think it because of the physics settings of the lower LODs? 

I have a plane for buttons divided in to 6 materials/buttons, I noticed that at the highest level of default physics there's 2 triangles for each button, and at lower LODs this drops to just one triangle over just one of the buttons.  This makes me wonder if the touch issue is related to the physics shape?  If so then this can be seen in the down load preview window, which would save a lot of time and testing.

I'm thinking I could just upload  2 triangle plane for the physics shape, to cover the area of all the buttons, but here I'm wondering if the touches would then detect each material/face or just the whole area of the physic shape as one button?  I'll test this when I get the chance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.