Just started Mesh creation in Blender. Cannot figure out faces.

PekeNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright! First of all let me state that I started working with blender a few days back. I have no experience with 3D modeling what so ever, but with the proper use off tutorials I seem to make it happen. However, I have encountered a slight issue with faces. Whenever I make a model in Blender with multiple faces, and assign materials (Diffuse mapping) to the different faces in blender (Someone told me to do this in order for SL to see and find the difference faces.) SL won't see any faces, it will only see one big face. Is someone willing and patient enough to assist me in how to do this properly so I can continue and stop being stuck?

Kinds regards!

"Face" has different meanings in Blender and in SL. In SL, a face is the parts of an object surface that can be independently textured and colourd. In Blender, faces are the polygons that make up tsurface of the object. Many Blender faces can be part of each SL face, but each Blender face can only belong to one SL face. You tell SL which Blender facesbto assign to a particular SL face by assigning the same material to them, which is different from all the other materials.  Each material defines the Blender faces that will be parts of the SL face corresponding to that material.

Make multiple materials (max 8) and use the color control underneath the sphere to set each to be a different colour. For each material, select just those Blender faces you want to belong to one SL face, and then click the Assign button underneath the material sphere.  Repeat for each material. If you are in Solid view mode, without Matcap, you should see the SL faces each in a different color (that's why you use different colors - it isn't a requirement of the system).

Now when you upload and rez the object, the SL faces should still be colored withb the colors of your materials in Blender. You can use the "Select Faces" radiobutton to edit one SL face at a time, changing colours, and, if you have UV mapped them,  applying textures. You can't select of edit individual Blender faces (except one that is ubiquely assigned to a material).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.