Issues Importing Fitmesh Maya 2015

Arellien

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I have rigged a Fitmesh dress and am unable to import it into SL due to the greyed out skinweights box.

I have tried Importing the mesh into the Wiki's skeleton file. and Have also used Mayastar. I've check the .dae to make sure all the bones are present and named correctly.

I have no idea what else I could be doing wrong.

I know there are a lot of other forum posts regarding this but I have tried their suggestions and have come up with zero, so I figured I'd try my luck at making my own.

It could be any number of things that are causing the skinweights box to be greyed out.

To be able to upload Fitted Mesh all the mBone/Normal Bones have to be in the skin cluster before you export your DAE file.
You do not have to have all the cBones/Collision Bones in the skin cluster.

If a single bone in your skeleton you have rigged to is misspelled or one of the letters is in the wrong upper or lower case then this will also grey out the skin weights box.

Starting simple and making sure everything is working first before trying to upload a rigged mesh.

1. Create a simple polygon cube. (Do not rig it)
2. Export the cube as a DAE file and upload it to SL or the SL Test grid Aditi which is free.
3. Rez the cube in SL or on Aditi.
4. Rig the cube to just the mBones/Normal Bones.
5. Export the cube as a DAE file and upload.
6. Wear the cube.
7. Start with a fresh cube and rig it to all the cBones/Collision Bones.
8. Use MayaStar to select all the mBones/Normal Bones and hold shift key down and select the cube.
9. Using MayaStar in the MayaStar menu click Add to Skin Cluster.
10. Export cube as a DAE.
11. UPload Cube to SL or Aditi.
12. Wear Cube.

You should be able to do each step.  If any fail then that will help point to the problem.
If each step is successful then the problem is most likely in your mesh somehow.
You may have too many vertices in your mesh or sometimes Maya doesn't like it when texture files are applied to the Lamberts or Phongs.  You may have too many materials applied to your dress. 8 is the maximum.
Your UVs might be messed up.  Sometimes there is garbage nodes created making a mesh just not work.
If that is the case export the dress as an OBJ and import the OBJ to clean up the garbage nodes.
You can save the weights of your dress first using a plugin like Doraskinweights then import the weights onto the OBJ dress so you don't have to do them all over again.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.