How to sync Tangent Basis for Secondlife

Geona Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to find an answer on my own about this particular thing for awhile now, as it's proven rather aggravating to try and get a synced workflow for baking my maps out.

Currently, I bake my tangent space normals in 3D studio max. While this seems to be the closest to being on sync with secondlife's tangent basis, I'm constantly having to wrangle Max's artifact issues when baking. So, I was wondering if anyone has dug around into the viewer code to see if there's anything about the specific tangent basis used by the viewer. If that can be found, it might be possible to implement this into a tangent basis calculation plugin for Xnormal. (of course assuming that I can figure out how to get that far.)

In general, something like this would be extremely useful for everyone, as it would eliminate the majority of guesswork that comes with seam issues and other errors that come from baking with different tangent basis than intended for the viewer's rendering.

Agreed, a proper tangent space calculation plugin for XNormal would be awesome.

From what I can tell, the closest results you can get today is with the "Unity3D Tangent Basis Calculator for XNormal" from farfarer.

Or with Handplane3D, which can convert Object Space normals to various tangent spaces, including Unitys. Though I like to bake out tangent space maps directly in XNormal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.