How come fitted mesh inworld, size is smaller than classic mesh?

Antumbra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How come my fitted mesh clothing inworld looks different than my classic meshes? For example my classic meshes inworld would fit perfectly around my body, but the fitted mesh clothing would look like it's 2 sizes smaller than it actually is?

Also what should I use as a canvas to start modeling my fitted meshes? For example with classic meshes there are the sizes XXS-L mesh bodies that you can download from mp to use as a canvas to shape your 3D clothing around. What i'm asking is, do I use the same bodies? or.. do I use the default avastar body?

I'm sorry i'm so new to fitted mesh and i'm so confused as to how to start out. I modeled around the classic XXS-L mesh bodies but then when I tried to rig it as fitted mesh, it looks 2 sizes smaller. Like lets say I modeled a dress around a size XXS body but then after rigging it as fitted, and uploading it inworld the dress looks like it's about XXXS instead. Idk if i'm explaining it correctly, this is the only way I know how to word it D:

I am not sure I understand what you are asking...

If you are making mesh models of clothes in Blender or Maya, look at this post: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/ It may explain why you are having sizing problems. Look through the Clothes Tutorial Index for more information. Things are changing this year. Once Bento is complete I need to update all the tutorials.

For a model I think most use either the SL default model, which is in the wiki but really old, or the AvaStar or Maya free model. AvaStar has made a free model available for years. Its called the workbench model. However, new models are coming out with the Project Bento skeleton.

Find the model and info about it here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avastar/compare-to-workbench/

You can export custom shapes from most viewers as XML files. Both AvaStar and MayaStar have the ability to correctly size these files so the result when exported for upload to SL come out the right size.

I don't make mesh clothing but I can tell you that most fitted mesh is not smaller. GOOD fitted mesh fits all bodies perfectly or close to perfectly depending on the skill of the modeler.  Some need no alpha layers at all.   So if you are having an issue it is not an inherent one because of the "fitted mesh". 

I suspect that some searching will get you quite a bit of info on the making of fitted mesh and I understand from folks that DO make fitted mesh that looking into the Avastar tutorials might be a good plan.

So far as designing for other bodies, you need a developer kit. Also from what other have told me  -- it is not easy to get some developer kits. The people making the bodies seem to want to make sure the folks that GET those kits actually know what they are doing -- and that seems a sound idea to me.

So learning how to make BASIC fitted mesh is most likely the best plan. Then when you can show that you can do that, you may be able to join in with those deveoloper kits. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.