Hello, Mesh Announcement

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the release of mesh, I've sold quite a few mesh items. They are all clearly labeled, and I've had only a few customers that needed any support or did not know what they were buying. Today tho, I log in and have a message from a german customer. He sent me a picture of the mesh he bought. The mesh were all spheres. Ok, no problem, so I explain it to him. He does not understand english. I think, ok, I'll give him a link to the Mesh announcement. What Mesh announcement? There is none. Not in the blog, and finding anything in the forums is crazy. Then, I notice, it doesn't matter cause we don't even have a german translation. Being almost 6 years old in SL, this blows me away. Does any1 at LL understand that we have a huge german population in SL. It has been huge since before I even joined, and we still don't have german translations.

Can we at least get a mesh announcement in the SL blog? Not just Mesh Part Deux! Preferably, the announcement should explain what mesh is. The KB is equally confusing. A "What is Mesh" category would be much appreciated.

Oh, and unrelated to mesh but, why do we only have google translate in local chat?

Well, that ended up being the first refund that I had to give for a mesh. He had no clue what mesh is. I gotta say tho, I have no idea why any1 uses Pheonix. Maybe for tracking their ex, lol. No mesh. No translator. No new social network. What the heck have they been doing at Pheonix? And, the guy crashed about 3 times. I've tried firestorm, but only cause i really hate the sidebar. Firestorm doesn't have the new profiles, or social network, which i really like. So, I'm stuck with V3, unless Kirsten's is updated.

Hehehe... SL has something for everyone.  For those of us who don't care for the sidebar, or the new profiles, or the social networking, Firestorm is GREAT!  :smileyvery-happy:

BTW, I agree that the KB article on mesh could be better.  There's a wiki article that has a nice little video in it that you could probably put on a display in your shop.  The article's not in German, though.

• Like 1

Nice Rolig!!! I'm bookmarking that page.

Please don't any1 be offended, I'm just stating my views and preferences. I'm used to Kirsten's viewer, which usually has the latest features, even before LL releases them into a half stable viewer. So to see a viewer that has non of the latest features with so many claiming to love it, that perplexes me. But, don't get me wrong, I thoroughly understand the flaws of the V3 UI and why so many dislike it. It really felt good to get the select wheel back in Kirsten's last build. I never realized how much better it is until I got it back.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Here's that wiki article translated into German. Can't say how well Google Translate renders it...

:smileyvery-happy: Well, that was fun reading. I hope my english isn't as bad as this google translation into german. :matte-motes-shocked:

Hehehe ... I'm not offended at all. I was just expressing my own preferences too.  One of the best decisions that LL made was to enable the Third Party Viewer crowd.  That move invigorated development and it gave us all the ability to choose.  We don't all have to drive black Fords any more.

Phoenix was introduced right after the Emerald debacle, so it's been around a long time in SL terms.  It's on a V1 codebase, and the developers told us all last winter that they would be stopping further development on that codebase to put their energies into bringing out Firestorm.  They did still make a couple of minor upgrades after that, but they have stuck to the plan otherwise. That's why Phoenix is lacking many of the modern features of a V2/3 viewer.  I think the people who stay with it rather than switch do so for one of four reasons:

(1) They have machines that simply can't handle the more rigorous requirements of the newer viewers.  We're seeing a lot of complaints from people who are trying to run V2/3 on substandard laptops and notebooks, or on older desktops and they just can't do it. I know several people who still use the old 1.23 viewer because it's all they can get to run on ancient machines.

(2) LL's V2 viewers (and now their V3 viewer) have had a very bumpy road.  Mesh is only a small part of the changes of the past year, and many things that have been added either didn't work right out of the box or created other problems.  There's exciting stuff in those new viewers, but a lot of SL residents don't have enough patient tolerance to be beta testers.  They stick with what works, even knowing that they are behind the curve.  More importantly, Phoenix (and Imprudence and Singularity and 1.23) are stable.  Their crash rate is low, compared to the newer generation of viewers (see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory).   SL residents with a low tolerance for the unexpected will stay with a viewer that works instead of dealing with the frustration of frequent crashes.

(3) Firestorm is still in beta.  Unlike LL, the Firestorm developers are up front about that. As I just said, I think that puts off the less adventurous users.  Also, some of the features that Phoenix users like are not yet in Firestorm, so they are staying with Phoenix until Firestorm is in full release.

(4) There really are a lot of people for whom the newer features are not much of a draw.  Media on a prim? Educators love it, but it's not a big deal for most other people -- AND it opens big security holes that scare folks. The web-based profiles? I hear a steady stream of questions from people who want to shut off the social networking features.  They don't want other people "following" them with RSS feeds and posting things in their profiles.  Even mesh isn't much of a draw yet.  Until there are loads of mesh objects in SL that V1 users only see as a sea of floating triangles, they'll ignore the hype. You can't avoid all of those new features, but you can keep using a V1 viewer that lacks some of them and still does the things you DO want.

In the end, I think people are making rational choices about viewers.  We all value different things, so a boffo feature that knocks your socks off is ho-hum to someone else.  Plenty of us still have no use for voice and are quite happy without it.  Plenty are here for the social aspects of SL and couldn't care less about how well the building tools work.  I love the fact that we aren't in a one-size-fits-all world.  :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.