Having difficulty with textures on mesh imports

Layton Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there. 

Hoping somone can help. I am having rouble with my .dae exports. They look fine in blender (2.65) but if they have more than one uv texure per mesh, when I import them to SL, the baked textures are attached in the wrong order. I have no idea what i am doing wrong. Last time I used blender I was using 2.49 and it all worked fine, but now I hae made my files using 2.65 and they aren't back-compatible.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I misunderstand the question here but if the problem is simply that you upload a mesh with textures and the textures end up on the wrong faces, why not just reapply them after uploading? The textures are all in your inventory and unless the UV mapping is messed up too, all you need to do is drag them from there onto the right faces.

Yes, you understand the issue correctly. The difficulty arises because I wish to distribute the models as .dae files and some of them are very large with a lot of textures. I would like them to import complete if possible to save the end user from the trouble of having to apply them all manually (the UVs/texture faces are fine and the textures apply correctly when done manually inworld).It would be very confusing for the user to have to apply all textures themselves (I find it confusing enough and I made them).
If there is a way of importing the models complete, that would be ideal, otherwise I'll have to find some kind of workaround.

Thank you for your input.

Oh, I see. Can't help you with the problem, maybe somebody others can, but one very simple workaround would be to provide a texturing script.

You really made me curious here though. Usually when you distribute a mesh build as dae it's to allow people to modify it before they upload. but that is obviously not the case here if the end user is supposed to even use the same textures. Can I ask you the reason why you want to distribute your work in such an unconventional way? (And no, you don't have to answer if you don't want to :) )

Hi there

The models are for a tutorial book and the focus isn't on modifying meshes, it's more on sim and game building. 
It's big build and I am not sure how effective a script would be. This is for new users and I want to keep things as simple as possible.  A script is on the table as one possible option though.

I previously made models with a previous iteration of Blender and they uploaded fine with all textures intact. Unfortunately the files from 2.65 are not back-compatible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.