Hair entering the body with avatar movement

fernando90 Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's the way things work in SL.  Your av body is phantom to attachments so that it doesn't drive the physics engine crazy dealing with self-collisions all the time.  If you don't want hair to intersect with your body, try a different style ( an updo, or an Afro maybe -- See my photo, left ).  This is the same problem that we have with prim clothing, which is why women rarely sit down if they are wearing prim skirts.

• Like 1

WELL RIGGED mesh hair will not enter you body -- or only on the most strange poses.  Note the caps. Try the demos with your AO at least to see how it works for you. And yes, STYLE will have a lot to do with it also. But there are tons out there that work very well.

• Like 1

In addtion to Rolig's suggestions about different styles/lengths, you might also want to try some of the mesh or rigged mesh hair styles, as Chic suggested (be me to it :) ).  Be sure to try the demos first, to ensure that you like the way it fits.  I have gone this route for long hair styles, and have been happy with the way it looks when I move around. 

• Like 1

This only applies to flexi hair. There are two other kinds of hair in SL too that solve the problem. Unfortunately they both have other flaws instead

Good old fashioned static hair doesn't move at all. Nobody wants that these days of course, unless it is a very short hairstyle.

Chantilly mentioned fitted mesh hair. That's the most fashionable kind of hair today and it does keep your hair from passing through your body. The simple explanation is that with fitted mesh hair the different locks are attached to different parts of your body and move along with their attachment points. The problem with this solution is of course that although the hair does move, it doesn't look very natural. If you have long hair in RL too, try doing it there. Glue the tips of your hair to your chest and back and.... No, on second thought, don't try this in RL! :P

There really is no perfect solution for avatar hair yet. It's a problem not only in SL but also in all other virtual reality environments. I know some very clever are working on a completely different tesselation based solution and I've seen a demo video that looked really impressive. It may take a while before they have it ready for the public though and chances are it'll never make it to Second Life. We don't have tesselation here unfortunately.

Personally I prefer flexi hair. A good hair maker can do a lot to minimize the hair-through-body problem and to me it's still the least of three evils. Others see it different thoguh and there is no definite answer really.

• Like 1

fernando90 Magic wrote:

I see so big-haired models that do not enter the body. I can already leave it without entering the body.

the biggest problem is he good in front and behind and deformed side

but I will try another model

Thanks for your comment

That is almost certainly because they are wearing rigged mesh hair, as a couple of othr people have suggested in their replies.  That's a good solution.  If you don't do that, though, you can expect normal prim hair to intersect your body unless it is short.

Oh, my!  That is ugly, I agree.  Your first photos didn't show that sort of appearance.  If I were you, I would throw that hair away and get better, more modern hair. Go shopping for rigged mesh hair.  Visit shops in world and try on demos until you find something that you like. That particular hair in your photo was rather low quality when it was new, and it has been damaged somehow. It also has an alarming alpha on the inside, next to your head.

To me it looks like you have a problem with the weights.

The parts that get deformed are possibly weighted to your shoulders or neck. If those bones are made wider or shorter with the avatar sliders, the mesh will deform accordingly.

Another possibility is your skeleton in Blender not being scaled properly. Make sure to use the standard avatar skeleton and do not include joint positions inyour upload.

Yet another possibility is the affected parts have more than 4 bones assigned, that can give unexpected deformations. I wonder which bones that would be in that location though.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.