Google SketchUp Wiki Help

DanielRavenNest Noe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started working on the SketchUp wiki page: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_SketchUp because it was basically an empty page.

But I am not an expert in that program, and doing a naive simple model it arrives in pieces.  If anyone can add whatever I missed for making a joined single object to the wiki page, or post what to do here, I will add it.  The goal is to walk a new user through the steps to make a basic object in SketchUp and import it to SL.

I build my house in Sketchup and imported it into SL (I think it's still standing in Sandbox 35). Unfortunately the upload path led straight through a lot of work in Blender. I had to cut the house into pieces, clean up all the extra vertices Sketchup adds during construction, do all the UV mapping, fix the normals, etc. It took longer to fix the model than I spent building it. The process ended up being part of my installation on the Second Life 8th Birthday sims.

So while I don't have much to add that is useful, I would be curious to find out if Sketchup import works better if you pay for the fancy export tools in the professional version.

OK, I found out what the problem is.  The Collada exporter in SketchUp 8 is incompatible with the Viewer 2.7.1 model importer.  Sketchup 7.0 works fine however.  I updated the wiki page with instructions where to get a working older version (Google does not offer it any more).

I would appreciate if someone, especially someone new to mesh making, checked out the wiki page and lets me know if anything is hard to follow or confusing (ot simply wrong).

You might like to make a jira out of this. I expect the developers would prefer the uploader to work with files from the current version. If you provide examples of the same simple object exported from both versions it should be easy to find the cause. Of course if it turns out to be a bug in the exporter, then it's Google that need to be told.

It is the Exporter of Sketchup

It produces unusual results sometimes.

Its really a shame, because it would be a the right tool for en entrance to Mesh. Well that being said, Sketchup 7 does work as long as the modell dosent become too complex.

Really important is, that you always use only ONE piece of geometry that you then extrude or deform. If you add geometry ( say 2 cubes instead working with one) you will end up with submeshes that you probably dosent want.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

You might like to make a jira out of this. I expect the developers would prefer the uploader to work with files from the current version. If you provide examples of the same simple object exported from both versions it should be easy to find the cause. Of course if it turns out to be a bug in the exporter, then it's Google that need to be told.

Created: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-602

I agree, new creators would like it to work with the current version, since Google does not distribute the older version any more and it will get harder to find v7.0 eventually.  I can't tell if it is the SL uploader missing the "Consolidate" button that used to be available, or a change on Google's part.  The .dae files it generates are different.  I didn't supply examples, but any simple object, like a box, with at least two textures will exhibit the problem.

As an aside, the entire instructions I wrote on making a basic object in SketchUp and importing to SL is less than a page long.  That belies any comments from people that "Mesh is too hard to learn", at least for simple objects.

Well i did again abit o research on the Export matter

I found the following entry on the Homepage of Collada

Source    https://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/SketchUp

It says

Google SketchUp is a product that supports COLLADA.

Exporting to Collada DAE files is officially supported in the Pro version. There is a possible workaround from the free version. The workaround is exporting to Google Earth (*.kmz) and then renaming the .kmz to .zip. When you unzip the file the "model" folder contains a DAE file of your model.

This leads me to the assumption that the real export only works with the pro version. The workaround is mainly a way to rip the google earth format apart. And i doubt they will look into that one.

Maybe someone here has a pro version and can tell if a exported file looks different from an file made with the workaround?

I have Sketchup 8 pro but the collada export doesn't work for SL either, crashes again and again and again. I think it has to do with Sketchup 8 exporting to a newer Collada format (they changed the Collada export in Sketchup 7.1 and on).

What does (kinda) work however, is saving a Sketchup 8 file as Sketchup 7, then open it in Sketchup 7 and export the .dae from there, that's the only way i've found to get meshes made in Sketchup 8 into SL.

Proper as of COLLADA 1.4.1.  The most up to date version though according to Wikipedia is 1.5 as of two years ago.  So Sketchup 8 could be using COLLADA 1.5, and it might not be backward compatable since it's a minor version change as opposed to a simple revision (the 1.5 versus 1.4.2).

Well maybe we can work something out here.

Eveline would you be so kind and do the following.

Make just a single cube in Sketchup 8,2m wide and texture all 6 sideswith different textures and export it as a collada file.

Then open the collada file and copy the whole text into a post here?

Feel also free to mail it to me if youre not comfortable with this.

I want to make a direct comparsion between the different files. Im not bad with that ruby stuff that is the script language of Sketchup, maybe i can come up with an export filter if i can compare the two and see what wend wrong.

Ok. I had no problem uploading that as long as I didn't make a physics shape. This is because the cube has been exported as six separate geometries (= 6 objects inworld) instead of one object with six materials, and there is a bug that stops import of multi-objects with phyisics shapes - the upload button greys out (I thought I had jira'd it, but looks like I didn't yet). Of course it is no good as separate objects. I don't know if there is an export option in the Sketchup export that would correct this.

If I join the objects in Blender, the material assignments are respected and I get a cube with a different material on each face. This problem with Sketchup - making each material a separate object, was there for a long time. I think it's why we used to have the "consolidate" button. I don't know what happened to that. For now, I would suggest the work-around, Immport into Blender (4.9a in my case), Select all objects (AA), Join, Export Collada 1.4. Voila!

Whoops ... I left out the join!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.