Full perm mesh policies

Charli Infinity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do full perm mesh sellers enforce their policies?

like not giving item as freebies or not reselling the item above a minimum price.

I see many items sold at the marketplace made with full perm mesh sold below the minimum price set by the full perm creator. Like L$10 tops or even freebies.

Do they just let it go?

For the most part sellers of full perm items can not do anything about resellers selling the items or giving the items away for free.  

The reason is because it is illegal for a full per seller to set a minimum price in the first place.  It is against US law for them to do so.  Google the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 which was amended by the Clayton Act in 1914.  

These Acts were written quite a long time ago and do not take in account the new technology of the digital age.  Because there is really no real world cost to digital information and digital products there is nothing stopping the price dropping to zero decimating the value of the work put into by the original content creator.

This is just not happening in SL markets but also in other markets such as publishing.  There was a big law suit between Amazon and Apple that I believe went all the way up to the Supreme Court.

Because full per seller in SL can't really set a minimum price or enforce it buyers of full perm item uncut each other eventually bringing the prices down lower and lower.  In the past few years I have seen full perm prices themselves drop down to the prices we used to see for the same type of non full perm items.

It is a horrible cycle of downward prices devaluing original content creators works even works by content creators who do not sell their items as full perm because there is no real world costs to selling an infinite number of digital copies of full perm items.

IMVU has a better system for their version of full perm.  In their system the original content creator selling full perm must be paid the original purchase price for each copy of the item sold by the reseller.  This means if the reseller wants to make any money they have to sell it for more than the original price they bought it for.  To compete with other resellers or to get significantly more money than they bought the full perm item for the reseller has to put value into the item by adding something creative such as better textures or adding mesh they created or combining several full perm items together creating a unique combination.

This does mean full perm items in IMVU sell for pretty cheap but it does keep the prices from dropping and those content creators who do not wish to sell their items full perm do not see the value of their items dropping because of undercutting by resellers.

There is a very interesting article from Duke Law School:

THE APPLE E-BOOK AGREEMENT AND
RUINOUS COMPETITION: ARE E-GOODS
DIFFERENT FOR ANTITRUST PURPOSES?
by MICHAEL WOLFE

You can read it here: http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1249&context=dltr

I am not against selling full perm.  I just see the problems how LL has implemented it here in SL and hope that in the next virtual world LL creates they do it differently more like IMVU does it.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope one day SL allow us to sent the priority not only for the second owner but also for the third owner.

So one could buy a full perm animation or mesh or whatever and would not have to turn down the permission to Copy, Mod, No Trans for example.... it would be that way at purchase.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.