Fitting a UV map

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Its difficult to be sure but it looks like your mesh is all Quads so you could use the Follow Active Quad method from the UV Unwrapping menu.

Here is a earlier thread from these forums that shows two ways of doing that :  https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/That-magic-keystroke-thing/td-p/2319603

Message number 10 shows the long way and in message 12 Dree explains the quick way. I suggest you do it the quick way :) then scale it to fit your rectangle.

I think in this instance, where there are 5 star poles in the inner region the option to follow active quads won't work.  I could be wrong.

Another suggestion is to select the opposing boundry edges and "pin" them (shortcut p).  Then check live unwrap and then  boundry edges  and straighten which you can do by scaling to zero along the perpendicular axis of each selected edge edge in either the x or y direction.  The edges should straighten and the rest of the UV should conform. It can be tricky to do and without having the actual geometry to test this with, I can't guarentee that it will work in this case.  Worth a try.

Edited to add:  the "live unwrap" option is in the UV edit window under the menu "UVs".

Edited for clarity

I had to smile when I saw this referrence to a question I asked so long ago. I remember this post! And you know --- I hate to admit it, but still straighten by hand when needed. I am damn FAST at it now LOL and it is sort of like a meditation ---- But REALLy.

So I have that post pinned in my browser and will revisit.  Some times it takes me awhile *wink*.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.