Face Issue

verixx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I am starting my journey down the path of a content creator. I thought I was creating a simple enough mesh that things would go smoothly. I'm just dumbfounded. I double-checked and tripled-checked the mesh. There are no missing faces and all normals are facing outward. There should be no problems with it. So why is it that now that I have uploaded it and its textures to Second Life, one face is seemingly not rendering or something?

I created the texture in GIMP, so I went back into GIMP. Now that I'm noticing, GIMP uses an Alpha Channel by default which cannot be deleted. The Alpha was solid white, so that shouldn't be the problem. However, I then opened the texture in Photoshop to delete the Alpha Channel, and it wasn't there. The Alpha Channel must just be a GIMP thing. Since the texture doesn't have an existing Alpha Channel after all, Alpha isn't an issue.

Select the face in question (select face mode), go to the texture tab and check if the Alpha Mode drop down menu is greyed out. If it isn't greyed out your texture has an alpha channel. And if it is set to Alpha blending ( the default) then alpha is always an issue.

If it set to  Blending, set it to None and see if it resolves your issue.

Verixx,

Noted you also use Photoshop.

If you save as a .tga, personal preference of me there are two ways to save in this format.

1. 24 bits

2. 32 bits

If you do not wish a alpha channel save as 24, with alpha channel 32.

Each channel will use 8 bits

Meaning R(ed) 8 bits + G(reen) 8 bits + B(lue) 8 bits = 24 bits

R(ed) 8 bits + G(reen) 8 bits + B(lue) 8 bits + alpha 8 bits = 32 bits

Simple said if you would save a a 32 bits you will force a alpha channel even if this wouldn't be immediately visible inworld. 

You can verify this in sl by pressing crtl + alt + t, alpha will show red

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.