Errors and crashes with the mesh client.

Herpes Melodie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if its normal that my mesh beta client tends to crash when I try to import .dae files somewhere around 7.5 nearly 8 mb. I was reading on Wiki the size limit is 8 mb - assuming you follow the other restrictions - which works sometimes and sometimes not.

What happens is:

1) I upload a model, all lvl buttons are green except for high, it loads and loads, sl freezes and then a) I crash b) it turns green and I can upload it.

Or I get this error: xxxxx failed to upload: unable to upload asset. NewagentInventory_ServerError.

See the log file for details.

All of this above happened while I tried to upload one and the same .dae file. Not all at once of course, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it crashes, etc.

I tried re-installing the mesh client but that didn't change anything. So is it supposed to be like that - it is a beta client after all - or am I the only one who experiences such issues?

Oh that sucks lol, I deleted the file and started over because I thought it was me who was doing something wrong.

Also, yesterday I had a problem with my model not showing up correctly. One and a half side of my model seemed to be transparant. I created a box in maya, added some resolution and imported into Mudbox. There I added some more resolution to the point it was sculptable. I loaded it back in Maya, exported it as a .dae (5.5mb) and uploaded it into SL. In the preview window it showed up corrently. But the sides where I sculpted some stuff were completely transparant. Not just the faces where I did some sculpting, but the whole side. Unfortunatly I deleted these files too.

Next time when I experience issues, I'll keep my files - I promise!

Heya Hibit,

I dont have the file anymore but this could be it. I didn't checked it though. And to be honest, because this happened a few times, even with simple meshes such as boxes without any modification whatsoever but only with extra resolution to get close to the 8mb limit, I highly doubt this would be it. But again, I didn't checked it.

But I don't know what else it could be.

In Maya under your lighting tab uncheck two sided lighting. This will show the side that would be invisible in SL as being black. You can easily get that with extruding or scaling. After your model is complete any faces that are showing as black just select them and then go to normals reverse and your good :D hope this helps with your problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.