Distorted Mesh Only When Wearing

Phoenix Takashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, I've been researching this like crazy but I can't find an answer. 

So I'm making a shirt in Blender and it's almost perfectly working on upload, except when I wear it. I can rez it on the ground and it's fine, but I think there's something wrong with the rig. 

Here are some images of it being worn on the chest:

2015-04-17_16-17-37.png

2015-04-17_16-24-36.png

And then here are the mesh upload windows and Blender images:

2015-04-17_16-19-48.png

2015-04-17_16-20-56.png

Things I've tried/done:

- Faced mesh towards positive X direction in Blender
- While exporting to .dae, check the "SL/open sim" option
- Applied rotation/location/scale for both the rig and mesh in Blender
- Renamed the bones to the recommended bone names found on Gaia's website (I used a regular Blender rigify skeleton)
- Cleaned up the weight painting as much as possible, checked each bone and they move the appropriate part of the shirt.
- Uploaded in SL using "skin weight" but NOT joint position. 
- Recalculated normals, removed doubles, and tried flipping the normals which didn't work so I flipped them back. 

I'm not sure what could be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Phoenix Takashi wrote:

Things I've tried/done
:

- Renamed the bones to the recommended bone names found on Gaia's website (I used a regular Blender rigify skeleton)

I think this is your problem. There is nothing wrong with the Rigify Skeleton, except that it probably does not use the same joint positions than the SL Skeleton. I believe you would be doing better by using one of the ready made SL skeletons. Here are 2 locations from where you can get them:

Thanks so much for the reply, Gaia. 

I went ahead and downloaded the first link you provided, and imported the .dae version of the female skeleton into my scene. I parented the shirt and the skeleton, and then delete the base mesh of the female avatar. Then I applied scale/rotation/location for everything. Exported it to Second Life, and now a new problem presents itself, however the first problem is solved. 

So the shirt now appears to follow the skeleton, but it's pinched in the middle and doesn't quite fit my avatar (which it should since I modeled it after her shape.) Here's an image of what's happening (I put on an alpha shirt so you could see...) Again, it's normal when I rez it on the ground but not when I wear it. Is this still a skeletal issue? 

2015-04-18_14-48-10.jpg

Thanks so much. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.