Daz3D_Mesh.

Dayana Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does your friend know how to upload mesh? Is the file collada? Or, it looks like it's only available for specific software by DAZ if I read properly. Or the items are specifically rigged for premade models only on that site. OR you or your friend didn't take the mesh quiz or get verified payment and thus can't upload.

If you buy that product at the DAZ3D store, you are only allowed to upload it for your own purposes. According to the license of the seller, that is. Linden Lab forbids the upload of all content that wasn't created by yourself. 

Even if LL did allow it, the user license of the seller does not allow you to give the item to a friend and have them upload it for you, or to redistribute the uploaded mesh within SL. As for your technical question: The item would have to be adjusted and rigged for SL avatars, and the polygon count and texture size would have to be reduced first.

I've used DAZ stuff for years, and they have one of the less restrictive licences in the business. But it still pretty clearly blocks use in SL. Thing is, they want people to make and sell certain kinds of derivative work. Pictures and animations, obviously, that's what they're selling their products for. But there are add-ons which depend on the mesh-structure, and the rigging data, which they want people to make and sell. We have the same basic tech with Mesh here, attachments using the AV rigging, usable as clothes. Of ncourse you want people to have that stuff. And DAZ don't mind if you use their models in another CGI program to produce images and animated video. But there are limits.

I'm not sure it would be wise to load a DAZ model into SL, even for personal use. It's a legal grey area  Pass that mesh onto anyone else, and it's a definite breach. The way SL works, that mesh model is getting passed on to multiple computers, to render images from different view angles. It's not just you who is rendering a picture.

Last I heard, DAZ 3D still have a small presence in SL, so they are aware of this place 

And then, at the technical level, so much of this stuff is at insanely high polygon levels for use in SL. Turbo Squid does distribute material usable for games. DAZ 3D doesn't.

I am going to ask a different but similar question, since the orginal devolved into a copyright and trademark answer. If I make something in Daz3d (Daz studio 4) can it natively up into SL? I have some old (i mean 2005 old) items that are low poly. If I remake them will they upload? (yes I know it has to be in collada and low poly)

I am actually excited about sl for the first time in years.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.