Custom Normals in Blender 2.75

Gaia Clary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The support for Custom normals in Blender has ben requested since a long time. This request was partially fulfilled since Blender 2.74 And with Blender 2.75 we will add also the export of Custom normals to Collada. If you are impatient, then you already can get the custom normal exporter in daily Blender builds.

Here is a Video that demonstrates an example where you need custom normals.

Please note the free editing of custom normals is not implemented (yet). However Bledner provides some tools whcih allow to modify normals to some extend.

Note: The video also demonstrates a generic welding Tool that we have added to the Sparkles Addon for Blender. This tool is not part of Blender. However, the Blender Collada exporter supports custom normal exports out of the blender box.

• Like 1

Thank you again, Gaia, just for being awesome!

I been meaning to make a suggestion to you. Maybe I have tho. IDK, I seriously am juggling too much these days. lol

This is not really related to SL, but I've been dealing with this more and more on numerous platforms, so why not mention it here. I really like the Sparkles addon, but I'd really love to see a feature to quickly and easily delete/select all or some scaling and location keyframes.

Allow me to explain the scenarios. So, let's imagine I'm making a animal, and with that animal mesh, I also want to morph it or change it into it's child version, or smaller female version. These would all use the same mesh and armature, but altered. So, with the rig, I'd make different versions by scaling or slightly moving the bones. They'd use most of the same animations, but in order to do that, I have to take out the scaling and location keyframes and use those from the altered rig. This is ridiculously time consuming to do. Simple, but time consuming. It would be awesome to be able to quickly select those keyframes, or even just be able to quickly show/hide those different kinds of keyframes, to do with them all as I please.

Just my thoughts. Sorry if I derailed this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we fixed two bugs in Blender's Collada exporter which affected the export of custom normals from the Normals Modifier. The export did also not work as expected when your objects where set to flat shading while they use custom normal modifier in parallel.

Both bugfixes are now available inblender's daily builds.

The issue was reported 2 days ago by a Second Life resident in chat. Many thanks for telling me :matte-motes-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.