Copying node setup to another material

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have a not terribly complex but would just as soon not remake node set up for one material (in this case "leather". I want a very SIMILAR but not exactly the same texture for the trim around the pouch (gray in photo and a material called "trim").

I am guessing there must be a way to somehow get all the parameters of the leather nodal pattern attached to the TRIM material without redoing it all, but I haven't seen that in any tutorial.

So hints from those who will ALWAYS be smarter than I even after three years would be appreciated.

Thanks.

materialslayout.png

Can't see it in your picture, but on the extreme right of the toolbar below the node editor window in mine, there are two little clipboard icons. You can use the first to copy selected nodes to the clipboard, and the other one to paste them into a new material. Their tooltips say their shortcuts are the traditional CtrlC and CtrlV.

nodebar.png

• Like 1

Hi :)

Later you may want to use the "leather" material (node setup) again in a new project.

One way (I don't know of another way) to do that is to Append that material into the new blender file.

In the new Blender file and in Object mode:

File > Append > navigate to where you saved the original Blender file which used the material you want to re-use > Left click on the Blender file > Material > Choose the material you want from the list of materials  > then hit the Append from Library button.

The material will now appear in the list of materials in the new Blender file.

• Like 1

Great tip. I actually did a very messy work around for this but your way is MUCH more elegant.

You get hugs too :D.  

Taking down MOSP this week. Thanks for all your help over the years there. I took up that cabinet you first helped me with this morning. Your art is still up but I will pack it away safely for another time.

Here's a helpful Blender Cookie tutorial on Youtube re: setting up Node Groups for your "library" of node set ups for append to future files.  It's a very nice workflow because with node groups  you are able to  can rename the input "sockets" and make it possible to  recall what the sockets are  controlling  and you can "isolate"  the specific inputs that you would like to access and change such as  textures or colors, etc.

Thanks I will check that out. I was watching a video there yesterday and it has some good "grouping' info (which I had seen before but hadn't used).

I also tried both of the other tips on this thread and they both worked very well. So happy girl here and will work on that workflow AND  watch the other video. Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.