Collada exporting issues from maya 2016

AkumaShadowWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

I am basically finished making a very nice fully rigged avatar that only hjas to be textured, however i decided to try and take it for a test run before i begin that work flow.... Unfortunately there are issues both when exporting directly from maya to Collada or FBX to be converted into blender or autodesks older independant converter.

I get several warnings like this one.

Warning: 'Null' type not supported by COLLADA. Only the transform data of node: 'transform2' will be saved.

everytime I export.

The actual problem is that it often does successfuly export, but it's in unsmoothed low poly count condition. This is after converting the smooth filter to polygons or simply smoothing the entire avatar to make that the actual mesh i export. Every single time i lose all of my polygons and this show sup both in Second Life when i preview it as well as Blender when I import it...Blender woud be a decent solution safve for my bones and skin weights being messed up upon import. i've uploaded a few expensive walking blobs because of that. XD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Things i've tried:

Using openCollada(although i'm unsure if it's installed right as the installation directions suck)

exporting to an older FBX and converting through the FBX converter for autodesk.

Importing an FBX to Blender(Which does allow me to re export as a fully smoothed .dae, but the bones are messed up)

I'm really hoping my pipeline doesn't have to include rigging in Blender..but i will if I really have to.

Cheers!

Update!

I managed to get one rendition to work after smoothing and deleting deform history exporting to FBX 2013 and converting to Collada. It's a pretty odd pipeline though. Does anyone know a better way or have any suggestions or input on why this is working although roundabout?

Best

• 1 month later...

Usually that kind of error happens when you have groups on any of your mesh or bones. Check your outliner and make sure you dont have any group. By default, maya will group objects after they have been separated to preserve transfomations. Also, groups can appear on some joints after certain operations. In short, collada does not support groups so get rid of them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.