Can someone plese explain how to install OpenCollada

HarrisonMcKenzie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking at the GitHub download page, and..... source code is of absolutely no use to me. And all of the documentation is also of no use, since not of the files or procedures exist.

I'm trying to export from either Maya or 3DS Max, but the documentation for OpenCollada is complete garbage, and i wasn't able to find anything about installation here, on YouTube, or via Google.

Could someone please explain how to do this?

OpenCollada is in first place a programming framework.

This project actually has added some reference implementations for Maya and 3DS Max. Those reference implementations are plugins and they should be also available with the Autodesk distributions, or at least these plugins should be readymade available from Autodesk.

I only can speak for Blender here. Blender also makes heavy usage of this Collada framework, and its exporter comes out of the box along with Blender (and it works reasonably well so far) BTW, Blender developers have been actively involved in helping to maintain the OpenCollada framework.

So... long explanation, short result: you should not try to make OpenCollada work for you unless you are a developer and you want to help improving this framework :matte-motes-evil-grin: Try to find the Collada export plugins for your tool instead.

Yeah, I would expect an Adobe Collada Plug-in to throw some errors in an Autodesk application. :matte-motes-tongue:

However, the Autodesk Collada exporter works just fine with Second Life. Just ignore the error messages. New versions should have it on board already. For older versions you may want to install one of the Autodesk FBX Plug-ins.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920

I have videos I made for my plug-in MayaStar which is for Maya.  One of my videos specifically deals with the different options for Collada with Maya.  It all depends on which version of Maya you have and what you are exporting as to which one might be better for you.

Installing Open Collada for Maya is easy once you have the correct EXE file for you version of Maya.  Basically double click the file after downloading and following the on screen instructions.  You then have to start Maya and go into the Plug-in Manager and put a check mark next to it so it loads and a second check mark if you always want it to load every time you open Maya.

I have links in the description to all the Open Collada download pages for the different versions of Maya.

I also have a link to Autodesk's FBX Plug-in Archive.  If my memory is correct Maya 2012 built in Collada doesn't work well with SL but I know the 2013.3 one works just fine.

I hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.