Can I pose a mesh body I've made in SL?

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a mesh body a while back. Basically, I exported myself, imported to blender then exported that model. I then reimported the mesh model into SL.

I can rez the body and wear it if I want, but I mostly would like to pose it, using it as a flexible mannequin. Is it possible to pose my mesh model in SL? Or do I have to pose it in Blender, then export, again?

Thanks.

No, that's not possible in-world, if it isn't worn on an avatar. Well, it is possible if every limb would be a separate mesh object, like a wooden doll. But posing it would be a pain, because there won't be any hierarchy, or IK chains.

There were some bvh to prim animator scripts around, over a decade ago. But I never found any of these.

So importing a couple of posed meshes would be the easiest and quickest way I guess.

• Like 1

There is a way... But, basically you put the avatar body on a robot avatar. Not what you had in mind, but doing it that way allows you to use SL animations and poses.

Robot Avatar? In case you don't know... there are viewers that run an avatar and add some AI. You'll see some robots in shops that answer basic questions and model clothes. They look like a regular avatar (well, they are a regular avatar), but they are automated by the viewer removing the need for a human operator. So, they can provide customer support 24x7.

Word from the Lindens is that there are no 'near term' plans to allow mesh objects to be animated. 'Near term' is one of those loosely defined phrases the Lindens use. My guess is that in this case it means not in the plans for the next 12 months or more.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.