Blender and SL Tutorials

Calbhach Somerset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone! I'm pretty much a newbie. And I'm gonna sound like one for sure. XD; 

Anyhow, I'm trying to learn how to create meshes for Second Life, and...it isn't going too well. :\ I've tried experimenting with Second Life on my own, and hesitate to actually upload anything I make, because I can't test anything before I spend my money on it (or that's the way it seems...I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong here, and don't know what.) But anyway, I'm not really looking for anyone to tell me how to develop, I'm just looking to see if there are any good books, online written tutorials or video tutorials on Blender-to-Second-Life meshing. I already have Avastar, so tutorials for it would be great too. :) I can actually figure out how to mesh and UV map just fine, I'm just uncertain about rigging things to the avatar, exporting, sizing issues, etc for Blender, and then importing, adding textures, and testing, etc in Second Life. Just need a bit of a booster to get me going here. XD 

Thanks so much in advance! 

-Calbhach

You don't need to pay real money to upload models or textures until you are ready to upload a final product. Do all your trial uploads on the beta (Aditi) grid.  That's Linden Lab's test grid, but they let residents use it for testing also.  If you plan to upload mesh, you will need to take the tutorial and pass the quiz there as well as in the main (Agni) grid -- same tutorial, same questions -- and you have to register payment information there even though you never need it.  Then, look for one of the mesh sandboxes and have fun.  They are usually pretty quiet. 

The creator of avastar has a lot of tutorials on YouTube under her SL name Gaia Clary.  You'll also find other SL mesh tutorials there, just use search to find them for your particular 3d software and specify Second Life.

You can try uploading and testing your meshes on the Aditi grid without paying for the upload.  Read this to find out how to do that and the requirements: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Aditi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.