Blender: Scaling a UV map scales the object instead

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This has been driving me nuts...

I'm in the UV/Image Editor and trying to scale and rotate my UV maps. Pressing S or R (or the options on the UV View tools) lets me wiggle the mouse and scale or rotate the map. Fine so far.

I usually want to do the above by a specific, numeric value though. Just like I can when scaling an object in 3D View. In UV Edit though that does not work for me.

As soon as I press Enter to go to the entry fields, it's the entry fields in 3D View that get used and as soon as I enter my number, the object gets scaled/rotated, not the UV map.

I am making sure to stay in the UV Edit view when doing all of this; my mouse is not straying into the 3D View. In fact, if I close the 3D View and try the above, I just don't get any entry fields when I press Enter.

I also noticed that if I wiggle the mouse before pressing enter, the changed parameters are in the entry fields already, but as soon as I enter anything there it gets applied to the object.

What am I missing here? There must be a way to do what I'm trying...

ETA: I'm on Blender 2.76b

Yep - that's what I'm doing.

It works in 3D View like that, but in UV Edit, it's as if it links back to the 3D View entry fields instead of UV entry fields and so changes the object instead of the map.

Really, it feels like a bug right now, but I'm assuming I'm somehow doing something wrong.

One thing I noticed, with Rotate, which of course only needs one number: I could press R in UV View, type the number and it would appear in the entry field in the 3D view. Provided I just pressed Enter after the number, it worked and rotated the texture. If I clicked in the entry field where the number had appeared and pressed Enter there, it rotated the object instead of the texture.

You're right, as long as I don't touch the number entry fields that pop up in the 3D View window, it works.

That's what's been confusing me. I usually press S and Enter to use the number entry fields instead of just typing. Try that, and see where the entry boxes appear, and try typing into them and pressing Enter there. For me, even though I'm supposed to be editing the UV map, those entry boxes get linked to the object scale instead.

It seems wrong that that's the case - I should get entry boxes for the UV Map, not the 3D View.

Still, now I know I can just type the number (with X or Y as well) I can just do that.

Thanks for the help. I'm still getting my head around Blender's interface, and probably will be for some time.

Yeah, I just tried that. Though, as soon as you move your mouse over there, you are in the 3D view actually, and it scales the object. Looks like there aren't any entry fields to scale UVs in the UV Image Editor. One of the many oddities Blender has to offer. :matte-motes-delicious:

Maybe some of the Blender Gurus here have another idea. I haven't used Blender since v2.49b actually. :matte-motes-smile:

Hi :)

I never noticed that before but your right when editing in the UV editor window its the Last Operator panel in the 3D editor window that is changing and if you alter the numbers there its the the actual mesh that is effected.

A way that does work when in the UV editor is to open the Last Operatot panel with the shortcut key F6 .  Then it works as expected, altering the numbers effects the selected UV

note : Its not just in 2.76 but 2.75 as well.

Edited to add:

Another oddity perhaps :

If when  you are in the UV Editor you do   R  Enter   F6   and then for example type 30 in the angle field of the Last Operator panel and Enter to validate the UV rotates 30° as expected  but then if you hover your mouse over the 3D Editor window and hit F6 again the Last Operatot panel opens again  at 30°. If you then change the 30° to 40° for example, the mesh rotates 40 degrees but the UV's return to its original rotation.

That's it exactly - you've described the issue better than I could.

Seems things are a little glitchy around that area in Blender. I had the issue in (I think) 2.73 a few days ago and upgraded in case it was fixed.

Thanks for the F6 work-around I'll try to remember that, along with all the other shortcut keys that are fighting for space in my brain.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.