Blender Newbie needs lots of help.

mitchrapp0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I taken 2 or 3 BB workshops on Blender, but I stopped my progress for almost 2 months due some RL. Now coming back, I need help some tutorials on some basic stuff., it would be helpful if the tutorials were using Blender 2.70 or later (I am using 2.74).    I will retake OptimoMaximo BB classes but in the mean time need to keep working and need help.

All my building now pretains to homes and some jewelry.

• Would like some 1, 2, 3 step videos on creating a simple mesh object , then UV mapping for 8 textured surfaces, then how to effieciently get a texture on the object, then the process to upload and settings during upload for lowest prim object in SL.  Basically a work flow tutorial from creation in Blender to SL, no steps left out, or assumed.

• I'm totally lost on texturing my mesh object.  I have watched some youtube tutorials, on marking seams, and then creating UV map.. I can do the basic unwrap, and have a decent tutorial on how to enhaces the basic unwrap.  Now I need to learn how to get the textures on the UV Map and get that so it appears with 8 surfaces or less in SL.

• I want to learn how to create a Blender mesh object with 8 surfaces (8 or less as needed) and bring into SL then selecting face add texture, same as if I bought the mesh object from MP then added my own textures.

For example a basic rectangle wall with two windows, and window frame around the windows, how to use 8 textured areas (or less) to texture inside of SL as if I wanted to give or sell that to another user, so they can add their own textures.

wall-2-windows-letters.png
I have made things and brought into SL, but can only texture with one texture the whole object.

Summary, Need basic tutorials on Blender to SL work flow showing how to unwrap texture the UV, bring into SL, efficiently import the mesh.  Specifically how in Blender to create the uv so user in SL can select face and texture the mesh face.

I know some of this is super easy , maybe I am just blocking...   all help is very much appreciated..

LoL, with all the help I got from my post/request, I finally was able to import a mesh and textures from a UV map.  YAY!!!

Hours of looking for the simplest info and, my block headed semi tired slow learning self, light shined through and the simplest task that you all already do, was finally achieved.

OK I STILL NEED:

How to set up my blender mesh & UV so that anyone who has the permissions  in SL can select the faces (up to 8 max) and load a texture on that face, without having to edit the UV map??????????????????

Oh and great tutorials please point in that direction so I can actaully get some work done instead of 5 hours learning for 20 min work..  lol  I know I am a better man for sticking with it..   lol

"How to set up my blender mesh & UV so that..."

Material in Blender = Face in SL.

Foe each texture you want to apply, select all the faces, make a new material and click the assign button. Set each material colour different to see what you are doing. This is MUCH easier using the Blender rendering instead of the default Cycles rendering (button at top to select). The UV maps for each material can overlap, or not, depending on how you want to use the, If you want them non-overlapping, select all faces and unwrap. If you want overlapping maps, to maximise detail for each, the select and unwrap each material on its own. There are lots of different ways to arrange the UVmapping, and care will be needed to align and scale UV islands if you want people to be able to use general-purpose (tileable) textures.

mats.png

In SL, you can apply textures by dragging, with select face, or with scripts, exactly the same as for the faces of a legacy box prim.

There are dozens of youtube tutorials for UV mapping in Blender. Use search tools there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.