Blender 2.7 will not Undo

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ctl Z does nothing (neither does command Z or Option/alt Z). In my prefs I have it set to undo up to 64 steps.  I have restarted Blender, nothing. Neither the shortcut or the menu Undo command works. Google doesn't turn up anything. 

Anyone experienced this?

Did you save? 

I often had an issue where I save, and then want to undo before I saved.

Which, blender says no bueno to.

This is why I quickly started to shift+Ctrl+S and hit the + sign to add a number before saving. So I have more fall backs in the future etc.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

You can test the keyboard's Ctrl-Z in most any program.

When you close a secession the undo list clears. So, you can only undo things that have been done in the current secession.

Works okay in other programs, worked fine in previous versions of Blender. I am not able to undo anything in the current session.  What I have to do:  make a copy of what I am working on before I make a change, so if I need to undo, I just delete the whole thing and start again on the previous version.

Undo recently got some changes. I don't know it in detail, as it is all kind of strange, and I've never much had a problem with it. The change had something to do with what mode you are in. Like they are all indepedent or something. Like I said, I read about it but I didn't investigate it deeply as It has never been an issue for me.

You should get Blender 2.71 anyways. It's just out and I like it.

I think what Mistah is saying (correct me if I am wrong) is if you saved your mesh and then try and use the "undo" tool, it's not going to work because the mesh has been saved as is.  Does that make sense?  In other words, once you save it, undo is no longer an option.  

I sometimes stumble over this issue as well. Sometimes CTRL +z just seems to stop working for no apparent reason. I believe this happens typically when Blender is in Edit mode. I can get the undo stack back to work by:

• step back to Object mode
  • CTRL +Z
  • CTRL SHIFT Z (for undoing the undo).

Now CTRL Z works again for me. However i loose the current undo Stack. So i believe either Undo is supposed to work in this way and machine intelligence rules human intelligence here. Or (hopefully) there is something wrong in Blender that can be fixed sometime/maybe...

Unfortunately i never can reproduce this behaviour, so i have nothing to report to Blender :matte-motes-sour:

• 7 months later...

I think I know the answer !!!!!!

I had the same problem and I came to the conclusion, that CTRL+z doesn't work, when your keybort is set on letter Y instead of Z (**bleep**t + ctrl changes it).

So just try to type ctrl + shift and it should work.

In my case it worket.:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.