Avastar Problem, uploader not recognizing skin weights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi again,

So I had posed a previous thread about my issues with uploading a custom quadruped mesh avatar to SL, and I decided to make a new thread due to the fact that Avastar is now included.

I followed the Avastar tutorial "Rigging a Horse with Avastar" to a T, so I thought, with my dragon mesh. But after exporting Collada (avastar), the uploader does not have the skin weights option available. However, if I export as the default collada, the uploader does recognize the skin weights. But if I check them, the avatar becomes extremely distorted, not just the front legs like in the video tutorial. Even loading a custom pose I did for the mesh as an animation does nothing. It's all spaghetti.

If someone can help me I'd appreciate it so very much. Is there anyone for Avastar I can contact maybe? I'm at my wits end. I spent so much time following that tutorial and getting everything to fit the mesh well.

Thank you for your time!

Avastar should create missing weight maps during export. If the Avastar exporter does not create the missing weight maps, then there must be something very wrong. Please could you consider to file a bug report to the Avastar team? We would be happy to help you with your problem regardless if it is an Avastar bug or an unforseeable special usage of the tools.

thanks,

Gaia

I just want to confirm that Avastar works great for custom avatars like this. It can get complex tho. It might be worth taking the course Gaia has created for custom rigged avatars like this. I've done a number of unique avatar rigs using Avastar, and I don't know what I'd do without Avastar, especially for the animations.

Here is 1 of my latest avatars.

flyavatar.jpg

I actually use the eye bones for the wings, cause the fly doesn't have irises to move anyways. I use the skull bone to move the mouth a little. I use the extra bones in the legs to move the 3rd set of legs, although this can get wonky because they inherit rotations from the other leg bones.

Thank you both very much for replying!

I think I figured out the issue, when I exported for some reason the armature modifier was not applied to the mesh. I had to select "avatar" in the modifier menu and then the armature was applied. I then used the collada export option in the Avastar tab, making sure to select the needed selection boxes. I "think" that was the problem. Because after I did those things, the skin weights option was available.

After following the uploading tutorial, the quad avatar was uploaded successfully and an AO fixed the front leg crossing.

I'll be trying it again with a new mesh soon and hopefully I don't have the same issues. I'm sure it was my error, not Avastar.

I just want to thank you for the help! I'm very excited about what I can do with Avastar in the future.

Ezkabach Sorciere wrote:

I had to select "avatar" in the modifier menu and then the armature was applied. I then used the collada export option in the Avastar tab, making sure to select the needed selection boxes.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "applying the armature" and "Selecting avatar" ? Actually when you apply the armature then the rig gets applied to the model, thus you get the mesh frozen in the current pose and the armature is deleted. Which would make your mesh a static model (no longer rigged).

So you must have done something else... Maybe you previously disabled the modifier somehow and your activities enabled it again...

After following the uploading tutorial, the quad avatar was uploaded successfully and an AO fixed the front leg crossing.

The front leg crossing is a "normal" behavior for quadrupeds. When you just wear the mesh after upload then you get the crossing of the legs. (which is also indicated in the SL Importer's preview window). The reason is because you have bended the front limbs by 90 degrees. while the standard standing pose "assumes" the arms are in T-Pose...

The only way to get rid of the crossing is to create your own animation (pose or animation sequence) and use an Animation Overrider in SL.

I wished the SL Mesh Importer would allow to use a user defined test pose instead of the default standing pose during import or even allow import of Animations for the rigged mesh together with the mesh. But i am afraid this wish will never come true.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.