Avastar Mesh Weights Issue

Sari6t

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I've been making loads of stuff in Blender and using Avastar with out any issues for what I have been making until now. 

Lately I've been working on more complex clothing, things with collars and sleeves lol. Yes thats complex for me. Anyway,

two things that I've not seen. One is that when I select "Fully FItted" the garment and the bones POP up above the avatar. The slides all work pro[erly but now the sleeve openings are at my head. When I test on the Beta site its the same. If I use "Half Way" its fine. 

The second and ore troubling is if I have used solidify, or any other way to create interior mesh , like in the sleeves. What happens is that when the arms bend the inner part has what seems like much lees weighting and pops through.  I tried loads of different approaches, but its really driving me mad. 

Anyone have this issue?

I went and grabbed some demos from good designers like Hilly and had a look at them and she seems to get away with interior polys all the time. And when I wear it , all is well. 

I'm trying to get a workflow down so I can create mesh clothing. I use the latest version or Blender, Avastar, Zbrush, and MD (Though not too much until I get this figured out)

Thanks in advance

Sari6t wrote:

Hello,

I've been making loads of stuff in Blender and using Avastar with out any issues for what I have been making until now. 

Lately I've been working on more complex clothing, things with collars and sleeves lol. Yes thats complex for me. Anyway,

two things that I've not seen. One is that when I select "Fully FItted" the garment and the bones POP up above the avatar. The slides all work pro[erly but now the sleeve openings are at my head. When I test on the Beta site its the same. If I use "Half Way" its fine.  

Not sure what's going on here, but I will say to make sure you Apply Rotation and Scale on your mesh before you try to rig it to the skeleton.

Sari6t wrote:

The second and ore troubling is if I have used solidify, or any other way to create interior mesh , like in the sleeves. What happens is that when the arms bend the inner part has what seems like much lees weighting and pops through.  I tried loads of different approaches, but its really driving me mad. 

Anyone have this issue?

I went and grabbed some demos from good designers like Hilly and had a look at them and she seems to get away with interior polys all the time. And when I wear it , all is well. 

I'm trying to get a workflow down so I can create mesh clothing. I use the latest version or Blender, Avastar, Zbrush, and MD (Though not too much until I get this figured out)

Technically, in game model development, there should never really be inside geometry that can't be seen, as it is a serious waste of resources. Now, I understand that SL is a special case, and users have many more options in SL, like taking half their clothing off. That said, if the user is never going to see that geometry, then it should not be there. Plus, you are giving yourself much more work, as you are pointing out. Here is a video that I made that might help you. I know it's not exactly what you are talking about, but related.

Sari6t wrote:

Hello,

There was a bug with the fully fitted setting. I know it has been fixed in Avastar-2. It might also have been fixed in Avastar-1.7-3 (Please try if it works for you). As far as i remember the problem was that the Deform flag of the Collision Volume Bones was not handled correct when you move the Fitting sliders to the extreme values (0 and 100) 

However there can be many reasons for unexpected behavior in Avastar and Blender. So it is possibly that your issue is indeed related to object scaling and rotation, or something completely different. These problems can typically only be solved by directly inspecting the models in the blend files.

I have have Sparkles installed and have given Avastar2 a go but I could not get an avatar made out of quads. I loved that one!

Did I miss a button or option to get back the quads?

Also, I still at times run into troubles finding the right way to do things as the menu changed again. I love all the new options and am a big fan and supporter of Avastar but it gets harder and harder to find up to date tut's and manuals or video's. I don't need them most of the time but when something goes not as expected I do need them to solve my problem. 

I hope Avastar2 gets out of beta soon and the doc's will be updated accordingly.

Maybe some good hearted fellow resident has some spare time to maybe put some video's up? I know I am not the only one having troubles keeping up with all those new buttons and options, I have worked with Avastar for some time, I can see it would make a newbie creator pull out a hair or two!

Thanks for all the hard work and for hanging in there while our platform changes fast (well in some ways, lol)!

Hi, Vanilla;

Sparkles has not yet been adapted to Avastar-2 so it may or may not work in combination (we just did not yet test this) Right now you should use Avastar-1 when you want to use Sparkles as well. Note that for Avastar-2 we have added a "textured" template which contains an Avastar character with Quads. That might be useful as temporary workaround.

Some general remarks (as it fits well to your post) :

I know we should have less interface changes, more documentation, and all of that. And actually we are working on this stuff since quiet a while now.

However most of our time is currently going into improving the functionality, make it work more reliable, and make it less sensitive to "user errors". And this costs an awful lot of time. Right now we do not want to publish yet another development release. we already had 23 of them. The next one will be a release candidate!

Also the documentation has been postponed until the release candidate is out. We have done this for a reason: Documentation is as time consuming as programming the tools (if not even more). So since the tools are still changing, we wanted to avoid to rewrite the documents over and over again.

So here is a very brief overview what we are doing right now for the user interface:

• Added long tool tips wherever possible (with explanations for "what happens when this button is pressed")
  • Added "Basic", "Advanced" and "Expert" Views for the Panels
  • Added panel specific general documentation directly into Blender
  • Rearranged the panels to become less cluttered and...
  • Moved related functions into more logical places
  • Added a logging system so we can enable/disable the amount of log information that is written to the console

Regarding the functionality many things have improved, but the basic stuff from Avastar-1 is still working as before.

• Like 1

Its you!  :)

I've watched your videos so many times and my sweetheart has so much of your work. This is so cool.

Thank you for helping. Rot and Scale I should have thought of , I'll try that. The inside geometry thing is frustrating as I only need it for things like making the topside of a Mens shirt collar and a little where something might be open like a open lapel where its not against the body , or for say the open part of a long dress where you would otherwise see through it.  Maybe I'll stick to yoga pants lol.

Thanks so much for your help. 

Hugs

I did not know yet about the textured template, thank you!

I also love the long tooltips idea, that would be just so helpful to us!

I think all the things you summed up will be another great improvement to Avastar.

Again, all the work is much appreciated as Avastar makes working for this platform better and easier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.