Ambient Occlusion for Blender tuts?

Cilene Inglewood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I have been waiting for an excuse to try making and uploading a gif file to this forum and now is my chance :)

Not quite a full-blown action video but it is moving pictures  :

Blender Ambient Occlusion bake.gif

In Edit mode and with your mesh selected :

1: UV Uwrap your mesh.

2: In the UV Editor create a New Image. This will be the the image the AO texture will be baked to.

3: Go to the Properties window and open the World tab.   Enable Ambient Occlusion.     Next open the Gather menu and    enable Falloff.    Set Distance to 1,   Attenuation to 1   and Samples to 5.

4: Go to the Render tab and open the Bake menu.  Change bake mode to Ambient Occlusion.   Enable Normalized.  Hit the Bake button.

To see the AO on the mesh change the Viewport Shading from Solid to Texture.

Experiment with changing the Distance and Attentuation values until you find something you like.

With the Samples set to 5 the AO will bake out quite quickly but be a bit grainy. For your final bake up the Samples to 20 or more to get a smoother bake (will take longer to bake.

To find out why you should enable Normalized in the Bake menu  try giving your mesh a Material and setting it green for example. now bake with  Normalized unchecked.

Edited to replace original .gif to one with a bit of text.

Also in the Bake menu I forgot to reduce the size of the Margins (UV Island Margins)

• Like 5

1st viewing of your Gif, I thought I cant take all this in! (and I have baked AO myself), then I sat back in my chair and just let it loop on ... well, 17th time around, I am absorbing bits and pieces.

I always liked your well-annotated screenshot posts - dont stop doing them! 

[edited to add ...]

... forgot to explicitly say it is a very helpful mini-tutorial

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.