already purchased item....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, but I can see where Sara is coming from. When you have purchased a lot of items from the marketplace in the past, having to go back and look up previous purchases to make sure you don't already have something is a bit of a pain. Not impossible, but annoying. It would be nice to see it on the marketplace itself when you go to purchase the item.

@Amethyst - I believe the Review button is always "active" (as in not greyed out), but if you haven't purchased the item yet, pressing the button gives you a message instead of allowing the entry of a review. That's how it worked last time I looked at least.

@Sara - This is EXACTLY the sort of problem that computers are best at solving. They have (near) perfect memories that they can retrieve instantly. A solution or function that capitalizes on that "photographic memory" .. and that also shores up a human being's weak memory at the same time .. that's a winner of a solution.

The Marketplace keeps track of every purchase you make; it uses that information to enable or disable the "Review" function. But the fact that the "Review" button is always enabled leads me to believe that the Commerce Dev Team have not figured out how to bring that SL-specific information fully into the Marketplace platform.

They bought a 3rd Party package called "Spree", tweaked it to build the Marketplace, and added some important features for Second Life shoppers. But the initial skill they had in working with the Spree package seems to have either gone soft .. or gone out the door .. because these sorts of low-hanging (easily provided) features never seem to make the list of enhancements planned.

No, you don't need a notification at all.  If the item is copy then the only thing that the MP page needs to do is instead of the BUY button, change it to REDELIVER and it can do this automatically so that you never even get the opportunity to purchase again.

It's not difficult but there's just nothing useful being done by the Commerce Team, hasn't been for well over 2 years now.  (I'm no longer counting Direct Delivery as "work".  This was a Linden Lab self made problem by moving a working system to one that didn't work and then taking 2 years to finish this project, as yet still unfinished.)

My inworld vendors have been auto refunding duplicate purchases for years, I don't believe in taking payment twice for the same thing when it's a copiable item, just for the sake of a momentary SQL query when the customer tries to purchase.

Sassy Romano wrote:

No, you don't need a notification at all.  If the item is copy then the only thing that the MP page needs to do is instead of the BUY button, change it to REDELIVER and it can do this automatically so that you never even get the opportunity to purchase again.

[snip]

And THIS is exactly why open discussion among the community of users is such a crucial element in the development process. The original idea was to jog human memory. But this enhancement takes it one more step and gently guides the human into making better choices AND also resolves a big issue with Customer Support for the Merchants.

Brava Sassy!

You want something like what Amazon has for books...a banner over the top that says You purchased this item on xx/xx/xxxx.

Should be easy enough. It's possible a feature like that will become available with the new way they are planning on doing the MP with it linked to your inventory rather than you uploading it...The only problem I see in that is if someone decides they want to leave SL but keep their MP open....shrugs...we'll see how it works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.