You must purchase the product before you can review it. Why?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

I don't normally post complaints about stuff on here, but I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention...The review section of the Marketplace cannot be used unless a product was purchased ON the Marketplace itself. If a person purchases the same product in-world, he or she can't write a review for it, even if they wanted to! But why is it required to purchase a product at all before posting a review about it? I feel it's not necessary.

Any thoughts and observations on this are more than welcome...Cheers!

If you didn't own the product how could you review it fairly? How could you prevent people who have a grudge against the creator and who didn't purchase it giving bad reviews that are not deserved?

In world purchases do not register in the Market Place so as far as MP is concerned there is no proof you owned the product and therefore it won't let you review it.

HenryCrawford wrote:

but I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention...The review section of the Marketplace cannot be used unless a product was purchased ON the Marketplace itself.

Yes we know, working as intended.

There was a time when LL was contemplating an inworld vending system that merchants could use that would then effectively be selling from the Marketplace system.  If that were used then it would probably have followed that an inworld purchase via that system would have enabled a review on the MP system.

However, there would be no requirement on merchants to use that system and LL would have likely wanted the same 5% commission so somewhat a deterrent especially when people are already paying tier for the purposes of operating an inworld presence.

Nothing came of it, or the API that was once an idea.

If you want the ability to review, buy on MP.  That's the end of the story.

HenryCrawford wrote:

But why is it required to purchase a product at all before posting a review about it?

Because:

"A consumer review refers to a review written by a consumer for a product or a service based on their experience as a user of the reviewed product."

How can you review a product without knowing it well (based on your experience)?

Coby Foden wrote:

How can you review a product without knowing it well (based on
your
experience)?

Well just to be argumentative, a review could be written based on using the item inworld or seeing it or having purchased it inworld.  For example one might comment on the textures or the build or how well the animations worked in an instance of a rezzed version.

Amazon do let people do this but next to ones that have purchased the item it says "Verified purchaser".

Personally though, i'd rather see the changes i've already stated or just remove it altogether.

Unfortunately, a handful of consumers already use the reviews in the wrong way - complaining about things like failed deliveries without contacting the merchant to rectify them, wishing a black dress listed and shown as black was red instead and/or complaining about issues like problems they're having with a mesh body you don't even sell (just because I supplied an applier). If LL made it so anyone could review your product whether they owned it or not, I can foresee that being troublesome. I personally would stop selling on the Marketplace if that happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a customer who received an item via a gift that was bought on my marketplace store and sent to her via marketplace.  She very much wanted to leave a positive review but she could not review, nor could the person who bought the gift post a review.  so it seems you have to both purchase *and* receive the item yourself in order to review.  Which is a shame.  So she wrote the review to me and asked if I would post it as part of the marketplace posting which I of course was happy to.  But really at least in that instance either the gifter or the giftee should be able to review.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.