Who's using your FULL PERMS prims to commit fraud?

Ashtyn Ninetails

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ashtyn Ninetails wrote:

(snip) ...  someone robs your house and stores the stolen content in an Amazon.com box, and you accuse Amazon.com of theft because they made the damned box your stuff was found in! ...(snip)

Sounds good to ME! LOL

Okay, all joking aside, I can certainly sympathize with the feeling of being violated. I've been known to react the same way. But since this time I am on the outside looking in, I do see that it also won't be a big issue to get past. You've got all the ducks lined up, quacking straight .. so when LL does finally take action against the true thief, you'll be firmly planted in the bleachers .. not on the firing line.

Just keep counting to ten and reminding yourself "It takes ALL kinds in this world .. and 'All' is a very big word"

*smiles*

Hi Ashtyn, firstly I’m really sorry for your troubles and I hope you sort it out very soon.

Out of curiosity how did you get the name  of the person who filed against you? I’ve had a similar experience and the notification did not name the filer, it said “ Linden Lab has received notification from a copyright owner, or its authorized agent”  So I’m wondering how you knew who filed?  Even when I successfully counterfiled I still didn't get any documentation with the name of who filed, so I'm very curious

In some cases IP team let the allegedly infringing resident know the business name, slurl of the inworld store, url of the marketplace store and the name of the coryrighted material of the complainer. Sharing this information helps the resident understand what's happening with their content, promotes awareness of intellectual property, and in many cases helps to resolve IP disagreements.

Elle Crescendo wrote:

Hi Ashtyn, firstly I’m really sorry for your troubles and I hope you sort it out very soon.

Out of curiosity how did you get the name  of the person who filed against you? I’ve had a similar experience and the notification did not name the filer, it said “ Linden Lab has received notification from a copyright owner, or its authorized agent”  So I’m wondering how you knew who filed?  Even when I successfully counterfiled I still didn't get any documentation with the name of who filed, so I'm very curious

The name of the object that LL said was the one complained about contained the name of the legitimate creator of it. Like "Bob Resident's Animated Husky Pets" (that's a made up name of course), so finding out the person who would be complaining was really easy.  ;)

To their credit, while I do criticize them for filing the DMCA without IMing me first (I disapprove of the heavy-handed faceless "let the law handle it" attitude, I personally would try to resolve it in person before bringing down the legal hammer on someone), they have been extremely friendly and cooperative in helping sort out the situation once they realized it was a mistake.

And an update on the situation: LL responded to my e-mail with good news, even if they were painfully brief in their response: The original filer of the DMCA complaint just had to e-mail them and ask them to drop the complaint. So, they did.

We both requested that any of such "Bob Resident's Animated Husky Pets" that have me as their creator be removed from the grid, since these are stolen content, however..... the Lindens responded that they can't do that, claiming they can only access the specific object upon which the DMCA is filed, where it's filed.

This comes to me as a major WTF?!?!!

I know for a fact that they can reach into your inventory and into rezzed in-world prims to remove content! A while back there was a major scandal with stolen animations, that the original creator requested they be removed from the grid, and LL did meticulously remove them from everywhere! I know because I happened to have some of the stolen animations (which I had no idea were stolen content) and they were all removed.

So yeah. Things have worked out, kinda. I'm glad not to be tagged as "copyright infringer", but I'm as outraged as those who accused me originally, because LL isn't really going to fix the theft issue.

Ashtyn (& the pseudonymed Bob Resident):

Actually, LL gave both of you the answer on how to fix it. The Creator (AKA Bob Resident) simply needs to refile the DMCA and specify the locations where the infringing item can be found. For example:

• All copies of "Bob Resident's Animated Husky Pets" found at In-World Store located on the "Stolen Stuff" region at location x/y/z
  • All copies of "Bob Resident's Animated Husky Pets" found on the SL Marketplace being sold by "Flybynightthief Resident"
  • All copies of "Bob Resident's Gray Husky with pink bows on ears" found in User Inventory with the Creator Name "Flybynightthief Resident"
  • All copies of "Bob Resident's Animated Husky Pets" found in the inventory of "Flybynightthief Resident" including all constituent parts contained within the aforementioned delivery box.
  • (Laundry List of other parts stolen from Bob Resident and included in the box) within "Flybynightthief Resident's" inventory

Etc. etc. Unfortunately, the original Creator (AKA Bob Resident) will need to detail out all the parts included in the delivery box that he claims are his stolen content ... which can be laborious. BUT .. this is how the DMCA works; it can only be used to take action against specifically named stolen items. Thus if they are not named in the complaint, LL can't remove them. This is where a lot of folks go wrong .. not being detailed.

I know it's a pain, but it's also totally understandable. LL has to follow the rules .. and them is the rules.

Ashtyn Ninetails wrote:

I know for a fact that they can reach into your inventory and into rezzed in-world prims to remove content! A while back there was a major scandal with stolen animations, that
the original creator requested they be removed from the grid, and LL did meticulously remove them from 
everywhere!
I know because I happened to have some of the stolen animations (which I had no idea were stolen content) and they were all removed

Unfortunately that option is currently available only for limited people invited to a pilot program mentioned here.

• 4 weeks later...

that is very sad :(  but thats because you the creators are the ones who would have to file the dmca`s  which in turn they never go any further because the court  and legal fees would cost loads more than the creator them self make in second life. so in my opinion its a waste of time. sl needs to remove the option of being able to tale lindens outside of the virtual grid and into real life. then all would be more a real game again like from the start. fun and no real.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.